Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Overhead Console Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Beginning Member
robertfireye is on a distinguished road
Default Overhead Console Wiring?

My 2000 4d was pretty basic when I got it and I'm just adding some premium stock options to it. I have gotten to the stage where I want to add an overhead console. There's never been anything up there except the basic dome light, and I don't want to take the headliner down for nothing. Is the wiring for an overhead console up there? I've seen a lot of wires going up the left pillar but I want to be sure. Any answers are appreciated.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Beginning Member
NWCoffee1 is on a distinguished road
Smile Overhead Console Wiring

I found a 97 GMC Jimmy 4-Door that has the Overhead Console that will fit directly into a 95 Chevy Blazer 4-Door, make sure you get the overhead console, the headliner (plus the screw holders) that's above the headliner,
to hold the console into the headliner, the L/R luminated sun visors, that is if you want those, then the wiring that leads from the overhead console, the sun visor's, follow the wiring from the top going down the inside of the driver's side left pillar, down underneath the dashboard which
will lead into the main bundle of wiring. Unplug your wiring for the overhead console and carefully snake it out through the area of where the
fuse box is, but also, get the female end of the wiring plug ( from the main
bundle of wiring), just in case you have to do some re-wiring, so you can
get juice to the overhead console. It may take a couple of hours to re-install. Good luck on your project!

NWCoffee1
Tacoma, WA

Last edited by NWCoffee1; 07-05-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:29 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

if your gonna go with the console which display are you going to use?
you also need to grab the outdoor temp sensor for the temp on display...i think it is located just behind the grille....and the newer displays have the compass electronics in the overhead with the display.
you will need both of those parts for the temp and direction to work.
if you go with the mpg display that simply needs to be wired to the obdII scanner output under the dash on drivers side.

there is a how to on this in the tech section.

also if you grab one from the yard be sure to take a foot or so of the harness with you.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Beginning Member
Talking

Well, I ended up purchasing my overhead console from a place I know pretty well over the phone. It's a long tan one with the mode button. I did this because I have been to several salvage yards with no result. One Saturday I looked at over 30 Blazers and only about 3 were 98+ and were completely stripped out, even the dash. But I snagged a temp sensor out of a 97. This is my first attempt at embedding images, so here goes. These are the wires running into my headliner. I figure that I have the six pin connector already up there but I'm really not sure. I was hoping someone here on the forum would. I don't know what that mystery wire by the windshield is either. This is what I currently have though. It is an old pic before I got the pwr/htd leather seats from the same place.

I am just hoping that it will be prewired for this stuff since the cluster seems to run up there.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Beginning Member
Motocross16 is on a distinguished road

I've been wanting to do the same thing! I just wasn't sure if there were wires up there or what all i even needed to do to install one. Did you get yours to work?

Old 04-07-2012, 04:04 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Motocross16
I've been wanting to do the same thing! I just wasn't sure if there were wires up there or what all i even needed to do to install one. Did you get yours to work?
He hasnt posted since Sept and I think you are going to have to start where he left off.

thing to look for is at top of pillar, if it branches toward headliner over windshield.. see any other reason for it to do that?

Pay attention to warthog's post, above

Last edited by pettyfog; 04-07-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Beginning Member

Haha, I haven't done anything to it yet. I have located an overhead console that has the mode function and homelink buttons. (Jackpot!) I still haven't even dropped the headliner but I suspect I am prewired for the basic temp/direction console. I have also located a full wiring harness for a console with mode functions and I plan to just replace the old one, harness and all. Whenever I get around to it I'll post an update.