Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

painting dash panels

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 01:33 PM
hooah68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default painting dash panels

is this a bad idea? i want to turn my beige interior into a two tone beige-black thing. does anyone have any links that could help me do this? i have no idea what kinds of materials/paints would be necessary for a job like this.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:11 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough
Old 08-31-2009, 07:07 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

I'm actually gonna to this. I did the cup holder (which I really like) and the casset holder red (though this is more redder then the cup holder for some reason).

Old 08-31-2009, 09:05 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

It can look good once it's done IMO...but it has to be done right. I'm not a big fan of the super high gloss ones either, but to each his own I guess.
I can't see myself doing this to my truck, but it can look good.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:06 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sisk
It can look good once it's done IMO...but it has to be done right. I'm not a big fan of the super high gloss ones either, but to each his own I guess.
I can't see myself doing this to my truck, but it can look good.
Lol, I won't bother showing you pics of my Dash Bezel next summer then Alex, I'm planning on getting one from a wrecking yard and painting it Gloss black, and doing it properly, sanding it smooth (no texture), priming, couple coats of black plastic paint, then as many coats of clear as I need to get a shine, I'd like to be able to wax it, and I want to avoid body filler seeing as all it'll do is crack just by looking at it.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:08 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by oktain
Lol, I won't bother showing you pics of my Dash Bezel next summer then Alex, I'm planning on getting one from a wrecking yard and painting it Gloss black, and doing it properly, sanding it smooth (no texture), priming, couple coats of black plastic paint, then as many coats of clear as I need to get a shine, I'd like to be able to wax it, and I want to avoid body filler seeing as all it'll do is crack just by looking at it.
lol, I'd still like to see it Pat. I was just saying It doesn't interest me to have it in my truck. I do like the look of it, just not my style. I think they look best in show trucks/cars. I also think when certain parts of the dash are done and not the entire thing it looks good (which is what I'd do to mine if I was going to do it at all). I'm thinking the surround for the centre dash (around the radio etc.) and parts of the door panels.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:07 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Yeah, that surround is what I was thinking, maybe silver on the smooth plastic around the guage cluster, and I'd pull the guage cluster apart and do the same to the plastic "border" around the guages. (as a sidenote I Just found out today I have a posi rear in my truck and 3.42 gears. Would have liked 3.73 but now I know why I get 28-30mpg on the hwy when I baby it along.)

to the OP, prep work is everything! Make sure the surface after you sand is clean before you prime or you'll have nothing but peeling paint. I painted my snowmobile helmet, and I have to sand it down to restart because my painting surface wasn't prepped right.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

I went with red. haha, there wasn't any silver for kyrlon fusion. My cup holder turned our real nice, but my cassette holder (lol) didn't. Probably because I didn't sand it (thanks mom for hiding the sand paper!!!!!!) but I don't know. I didn't prim either one (I primed the cup holder, but just sanded it down again).

Old 08-31-2009, 03:38 PM
hooah68 is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont want to smooth it out and gloss it; i want to maintain the stock fake-vinyl look it has but only with a different color. im getting one of the double din bezels for my 99 blazer, but im unable to find one in the right color, so i was thinking of just painting it.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:43 PM
BF Veteran

Ok, you're still going to want to sand it a bit with a fine grain paper, just to rough it up a bit, then clean it real well. Prime it, spray it, should look ok, MAKE SURE IT'S CLEAN! Without the gloss clear, it won't turn out glossy, more satin, between gloss and matte. You can sand the primer a bit too just to make sure the paint sticks well.

Quick Reply: painting dash panels