Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Rear Bumper removal and repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 08:41 AM
Starting Member
donald_archer is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Bumper removal and repair

I would like to know the procedure for removing the rear bumper on my 98 4 door. I have seen a youtube video that says remove the 4 bolts located on top of the bumper and pull. I have a feeling that there is more to it than that.

I want o do some body work on it and it will be easier if it is removed.

Anybody done it?

Thanks in advance

Old 02-08-2017, 07:39 AM
josh18657 is on a distinguished road

That's pretty much it, the bolts are under the plastic trim. You'll also need to disconnect the plate lights but I don't remember if there was a plug or remove the bulbs from behind.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:43 AM
Starting Member
Default Rear Bumper removal and repair

Clearly I have some work to do this spring and summer

1: Strip
2: Weld new metal and get rid of surface rust
3: Prep
4: Sand
5: Prime
6: Paint
7: Repeat *lol*

Attached Thumbnails Rear Bumper removal and repair-20170225_102215.jpg   Rear Bumper removal and repair-20170225_102227.jpg  
Old 02-25-2017, 08:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is some pretty serious rot and I'm pretty sure it will look even worse on the inside of the bumper to the point that you'll be hard pressed to find good enough metal to weld your patch to. You can probably find an exact match at your local pick-n-pull that's rust free for less than $50.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:16 AM
Starting Member

Hi SWartikk thanks for the reply,

I have seriously been thinking about that and I am calling that option 2. My main concern is getting the old one off, not sure its an easy thing to do. I will know the second I take the welder to it which way to go

Wish me luck

Regards

Old 02-26-2017, 01:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would not attempt to cut and/or weld with the bumper on the truck. There is a lot of plastic back there that will not appreciate the heat and sparks associated with metal cutting and welding. It would be in your best interests to remove the bumper before attempting to repair it. This will also allow you to assess the structure of the bumper better before diving into any rust repair on it.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:11 PM
Starting Member
Default Thanks

To tell you the truth I much would rather get a replacement bumper from the bone yard, do whatever I have to do to it on a bench and then swap them out. Think i will make some calls tomorrow and see what is avaiable.

Swartikk, sorry to ask. The you tube video I saw says all you do is remove the license plate lights take the cover off the top. Loosen the 4 bolts that are underneath it and pull the old one off. is it that simple. the Haynes manual indicates that it is more involved than that.

Thanks for your input i appreciate it

Old 02-26-2017, 02:44 PM
Administrator

I have never liked the Haynes/Chiltons manuals. If you plan on keeping your truck and working on it yourself, invest in a factory service manual set. They pop up on eBay from time to time. I prefer the actual books for quick reference.

LMC Truck S-series Catalog Pg 51 shows the 98+ bumper and bolting. It's $150 +s&h for new aftermarket replacement.

And yes, it is that simple to remove.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:02 PM
Starting Member

Thank you so very much!!!

Old 04-01-2017, 05:50 AM
Starting Member
Default Body work

Well the saga continues. I have started and stopped this so many times that I honestly do not know if it is going to be worth it anymore. The bumper passes the 20' test at the moment. I have had put some primer over the work that i have done so it will somewhat protect it from the elements but the weather still is not good. It will have to be removed when I start again

I got my trailer hitch removed last night so I can remove the last of the paint and get it all down to bare metal. It was rusted on there pretty good.

I hope that the weather is going to start to shift so I can do the bodywork next

I hope

regards

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper removal and repair