Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Rear seat won't fold down..

Old 03-01-2010, 11:15 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default Rear seat won't fold down..

Hello sirs,

the passenger side of my rear seat (4dr truck) will not fold down. The cable that was attached to the release lever has become unhooked and fallen inside the seat.

Have any of you encountered this before or have any suggestions on how to get it working again?

Old 03-02-2010, 06:46 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Matt...where the hell you been? lol.
Anyway I know I have a 2dr, but it's the same design for the seat's isnt it? If so I'll have a look on SI (Service Info) tonight and see whether they talk about the cable replacement. I might be able to get you some diagrams on replacement. I haven't heard of this happening before though.

BTW - Where the hell did you get the "new" Blazer font emblem in your sig?

Old 03-02-2010, 01:13 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sisk
Matt...where the hell you been? lol.
Anyway I know I have a 2dr, but it's the same design for the seat's isnt it? If so I'll have a look on SI (Service Info) tonight and see whether they talk about the cable replacement. I might be able to get you some diagrams on replacement. I haven't heard of this happening before though.

BTW - Where the hell did you get the "new" Blazer font emblem in your sig?
I've been around, just haven't posted much lately

I tried looking for an exploded view of the rear seats to see how the cable mechanism works but I wasn't able to find any. If you have a diagram you can access that would be awesome.

My BLAZER emblems are taken from a TrailBlazer

Old 06-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Beginning Member
connersdad19 is an unknown quantity at this point

same thing just happened on my 2000 blazer....i am not so much worried about it folding...but i need to take the seat off...and the only way is to fold it...any help?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:57 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by connersdad19
same thing just happened on my 2000 blazer....i am not so much worried about it folding...but i need to take the seat off...and the only way is to fold it...any help?
I actually never got around to working on it until today. I found out there is a small lever underneath the seat that you can use to fold it down.

The handle on the back is attached to it through a cable in the seat. On mine, the small clasp on the lever had fallen off so it was a pretty simple fix.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Beginning Member
oswalt839 is on a distinguished road

man those emblems are sweet! where did you get them from? and how much? link would be greatly appreciated, want those only in black

Old 07-23-2010, 06:49 PM
lombard is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a related problem on my back seat. My problem though is that the head rest won't flip back, so I can't fold down the rear seat on the driver's side. Any help there? 2000 2dr.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:43 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by lombard
I've got a related problem on my back seat. My problem though is that the head rest won't flip back, so I can't fold down the rear seat on the driver's side. Any help there? 2000 2dr.
Not sure man, once the seat is down enough, both headrests on mine automatically flip back. I took a look at mine earlier to see if there could be some other release or switch that's activated by the seat tilting forward but I couldn't find anything.

Have you tried manually pushing them back as you lower the seat? Perhaps whatever normally flips them backwards has broken and they just need some coercion on their way down.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:55 PM
lombard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mdehoogh
Not sure man, once the seat is down enough, both headrests on mine automatically flip back. I took a look at mine earlier to see if there could be some other release or switch that's activated by the seat tilting forward but I couldn't find anything.

Have you tried manually pushing them back as you lower the seat? Perhaps whatever normally flips them backwards has broken and they just need some coercion on their way down.
Haven't been able to get that head rest to fold back no matter what I tried. I'm guessing there's some sort of linkage that triggers it. Must be broken on mine. I guess if I ever get ambitious enough I'll have to pull the seat and take a closer look. I fear I'm going to have to pull the upholstery off to get at it though....

Old 07-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Beginning Member
BAGnDRAG-K5 is on a distinguished road

These rear seats have zippers on them don't they? I remember seeing something with a zipper on the side of it. I had an '01 LT 4dr 2WD with cloth seats.

Originally Posted by lombard
Haven't been able to get that head rest to fold back no matter what I tried. I'm guessing there's some sort of linkage that triggers it. Must be broken on mine. I guess if I ever get ambitious enough I'll have to pull the seat and take a closer look. I fear I'm going to have to pull the upholstery off to get at it though....
Look on the side and the bottom of your seat and you should see a cable coming down that will pull the head rest release when the seat reaches a certain point. If you pull this it should release the head rest to fall back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear seat won't fold down..