Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Replacing Screws and Panels

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Beginning Member
nate.chesebro is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing Screws and Panels

Just bought a 96 blazer. In the years prior to now, normal wear and tear has lead to the bottom plastic panel on the drivers side dash is broke (below steering column, above pedals) and the one to its right is broke as well. I was wondering if there were available replacements for these and where I could purchase them.

Also, the plastic covering on the steering column is all jacked up for some reason. I have yet to open it and find out why, but the top and bottom plastic pieces are not flush with each other and it bugs me. It is missing two of the three screws from the bottom of it as well, so I need replacements for those, and all screws for the two mentioned panels.

Any ideas?

-nate

Old 11-03-2011, 12:59 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

On my steering column the reason the two pieces don't sit flush is the prevous owner broke the screw housing that holds the top piece down. Something to check.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Beginning Member

It should pull apart fine, once I get the one screw out of the bottom part, hey?

-nate

Old 11-03-2011, 09:44 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, that's how mine is. Just the one bolt on the bottom. You will have to pop the key gaurd off first though.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Beginning Member

What a bear of a project that was. I finally got it so it is all flush. although I now notice that the rubber cover for the shifter is wore out and torn... possibly something to replace

Old 11-05-2011, 12:09 AM
BF Veteran

Good, it's something I've been meaning to do myself.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Beginning Member

When you go to do yours, you might find that it is just a loose scew - i found nothing keeping mine from fitting together.

What I did was take both panels off, and that is completely unecessary (given that there are no foreign obstructions inside of course). If you lower the steering column to the lowest level, you can force it back together in the right spot. Once you get it flush, go ahead and tighten the screws on the bottom half. Two of the three original screws are missing off mine, so the one that is in there I put back in very snug. It seems that this one screw is enough to do the trick, but, time will ultimately tell. I think once I get it legal and on the road, a trip to the GM dealership may produce some replacement screws.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:08 AM
BF Veteran

My plastic pieces are broken, so they need to be replaced.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Beginning Member

Some of my dash panels are broken too, as well as missing more screws. I am hoping a visit to the GM Dealer will produce what I need, without being robbed...

-nate