Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

DIY roof rack....designs??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Boyer2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DIY roof rack....designs??

hey ive been wanting to get a roof rack for my blazer but theyre too expensive to buy so i figured i'd make one custom....has anyone ever done this before???

Old 06-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Starting Member
Bigringtravis is on a distinguished road

Unless you have good experience welding and designing things made of metals, I would strongly encourage you to buy one instead of trying to make one.

http://yakima.com/racks/cargo/produc...adwarrior.aspx

This will mount to your factory load bars and let hold a lot more than the factory rack ever would.

Being a seller of roof rack type systems, it doesn't take much to get one blown off if it's not built right. Likewise, factory cross bars are a "No-No" as far as I'm concerned for supporting weight.

This is what I run most of the time - Three bikes on top and four wheels. I can take the bike trays off and put the basket on top or use a cargo bag. I can use the rack and put the Hi-Lift Jack on top. I can also mount the bike trays to the basket, and the wheels too for that matter - if I really needed to save time.

You can add a lot more goodies more securely too!

I'm service manger for a high-end bike shop, I work events and races, both amateur and pro... There is no telling what and when I'll be carrying something crazy. The last race, Dirt Sweat and Gears, I had two HUGE event tents, two bikes, power inverter, compressor, three tool boxes, cooler with plenty of drinks and ice, two folding five foot tables, and some other stuff thrown in. When I left the event that night, I had three bikes plus all the stuff I came with. I got 20 mpg and rode in style the whole way!

But good luck what ever you decide to do!