Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

D.I.Y Interior Painting

Old 03-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road
Default D.I.Y Interior Painting

D.I.Y. Interior prep and painting and any other plastic parts Such as a grill.

Items Needed:
1.Primer.
2.Paint that is made for plastic-What ever color.
3.Sand paper- I use 120 And 1200.
4.Painting tape and PREP WIPES for cleaning the surface clear of dust-Found at local auto parts store.
5.Clear coat

Step 1
.Sand the surface of the plastic dash parts or other interior parts with 120 grit you have selected Until you get a fair rough surface for the primer to adhere to Then once that is complete wipe the surface with the PREP WIPES to remove all dust and particles.

Step 2. Spray the primer with even Light coats then let dry for how ever long your brand of primer recommends, Then sand Lightly to make a light rough surface with out removing a lot of the primer, Then wipe the surface again, Then spray the primer for another coat then let dry and then re sand it Lightly,

Step 3. Use your colored spray paint and spray Light strokes until you covered most of the area, But don't worrie about getting every area or you will cause dripping, So just do 1 even coat and then sand Lightly with your 1200 grit sand paper, And wipe with PREP WIPES.

Step 4. Paint your second coat of color paint and then let dry and sand Lightly with 1200 grit again and wipe clean of dust and let dry for a few hours, which i recommend 8+ hours.

Step 5. OK after you have let it sit and cure re wipe the area of dust and clear coat it with nice light spray and let dry and sand Lightly with 1200 grit and wipe clean of dust and respray with one last coat of clear.

First clear coat.

Second Coat Finished

Step 6. Let it dry over night and install back into you vehicle

Finished and installed

Last edited by Cavalier z24; 03-20-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:38 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Pics of them installed? Interior pieces are usually not reflective so you don't catch a glare off them. Curious if this will be a problem for you.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

me too, was considering cleaning mine really well and shooting some clear before I put my interior back together but I was worried about the glare (although a nice shiny clear would be easy to clean)

Old 03-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road

Good thinking but i went out side and drove it around it was very sunny here and it was fine and looks great no glare at all Also being 6' makes me high above the parts in case there was a glare but i don't see it happening

Last edited by Cavalier z24; 03-20-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Beginning Member
mod8521 is on a distinguished road

I am going to paint my grill(old and faded). I think I want a flat black finish. Is there a paint sealer that would leave a dull finish?

Old 08-03-2009, 04:10 PM
mbrjay is on a distinguished road

Yeah you should be able to pick up a matt clear coat or if the worst comes to the worst, you'll definitely be able to find a semi-gloss clear coat.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:52 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

I can't see any pictures, prob. posted on a host that's blocked. Can you attach them, or email them to me?

Old 09-01-2009, 08:30 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Great job....the pics are great.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:33 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I woulda smoothed them first. Only glare problem I have with mine is off the gauge cluster but I run a dash mat on the top 90% of the time so it helps with that.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Beginning Member
tetricyde is on a distinguished road

Lookin good man... I'm actually waiting right now on my primer to dry on those pesky rear side window moldings.... all sun damaged ... i'll post a finished picture later...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: D.I.Y Interior Painting