Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Window trim problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 01:34 AM
Chevy31104 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Window trim problem

Hey all, I haven't been on here in quite some time. Have been real busy lately.

Anyway, I have a problem with my window molding around the back side windows. It's faded and pitted. This south Florida sun tore that stuff up! It's on a 2-door Blazer. I checked at the dealer about just replacing the molding around the window....can't be done without buying the ENTIRE WINDOW!!! $860.00 per side!!! F*** that!

I'm going to try some Meguires on it to see if that helps. Does anyone have any tips? Please help, it's making me angry at how ugly my Xtreme looks now with that cheap plastic molding. Dammit Chevy! Anyway to make a buck, i'll tell ya.

Thanks.

Old 02-09-2005, 04:59 PM
01xtreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Window trim problem

I have the same problem on my driver's side. I never checked into it though. I was just going to get it painted because the plastic trim on the mirrors, handles, etc is ugly and turns a little white after a while. Let me know what you find out!

Old 02-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Retired Admin
zero psi is an unknown quantity at this point

id just paint it. SEM makes a trim black spray bomb that matches most factory semi gloss trim pieces. 5 bucks for a can, or $1720 blown on trim? id give that a try. i know you can get it at NAPA, but im sure they have it at many other parts stores. and in case you're wondering...yes, it is quality paint. i worked at a repuitable body shop for 3 years, and thats what we used and it works great! make sure you prep them right first, though.

Old 03-13-2005, 02:04 AM

K, I found out that my local Chevy dealer has just took care of this exact same problem on another 2-door Blazer just this past week. It was on a green Blazer and it's trim was way worse than mine. (They let me see it before and after.) That trim looked brand new when they were done with it. It looked just as good as the trim that was on that brand new red Blazer sitting on the showroom floor.

They will paint that back window trim and my side rear view mirrors black (my truck is black) for $300. I'm all over that as soon as that tax return comes in!

Old 03-13-2005, 02:11 AM

Also, 01xtreme, if you still have those grained door handles that turn white...I would get those changed out. What I did was I went to my Chevy dealer and had them look up the part numbers for the door handles for a black '97 S-10 SS. I bought those ones for like $30 a peice and just installed them myself. They have a smooth gloss black finish, not grained like on the stock Xtreme's. Man, they make a world of difference. Just thought you might want to look into that.

I don't know why Chevy made the Xtreme packages with that "monochromatic" paint job and then install ugly grained door handles and mirrors and plastic trim, etc. that turn white and faded over time. [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 03-15-2005, 12:10 AM
V6 Vortec Jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea don't ever go to the dealer for stuff like that their give yu the most outrageous price they can come up with like my mom bought her new car and they wanted 400 dollar or somethen to put a spoiler and all on well my mom said no. So my dad went on the internet and bought the spoiler alrdy painted for 200 dollar that half the price maybe it was (150) i don't remember but dealerships are high prices. But im glade my bro works at Penn Pontiac