Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Best performance upgrade for a semi low cost?

Old 05-29-2013, 09:34 PM
01BlazerFTW is on a distinguished road
Default Best performance upgrade for a semi low cost?

I'm 17, and I own an 01 blazer sport. I'm looking to get a nice performance boost for a relatively cheap cost. I thought about getting it super charged, but I saw that that will run me about 2500 dollars. I wanted something for around a few hundred bucks that would get me a nice boost. I was thinking maybe getting a cold air intake? What do you think? Thanks!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:43 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

The best upgrade I've done for my '01 Jimmy in that price range has been the tuned PCM. I got mine from PCMforless.com and have more than happy with it. I got about 3mpg better gas mileage with it from the moment I installed it and have had much better throttle response and power across the board. Without going to a REAL performance mod like boring/stroking the engine, porting/polishing heads, cams, lifters, forced induction, spray, etc. it's about the most effective upgrade for the money. The PCM, exhaust mods and CAI got me right at 4.5 mpg increase in gas mileage along with a noticeably better running truck and I still have more of the easy stuff to do with it. A good and real tuned exhaust and the E fan mod to remove the clutched fan is the next two items on the list.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:08 PM
slcblazer is on a distinguished road

The cheapest and most noticeable mod I have done is the throttle blade mod. Just cut the air dam off and you get better take off

Old 06-07-2013, 02:02 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I noticed a power increase putting in an electric fan

Old 03-14-2019, 07:53 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

My upgrade in process for my 89 S15 Jimmy 2WD 2DR 4.3 (Original Owner with over 500k on the odometer)
94 Heads with 1.52 ratio rockers. (Better than the 89 Heads but not as good as the true Vortec Heads)
94 L35 Camshaft. (Same with the Camshaft)
Edelbrock TBI Intake with free chip.
Upgrades Completed: Dual Piston Front Calipers (GM), Rear Disc Conversion (GM), GM Rear Sway Bar, ZQ8 Quick ratio steering gear box, G80 Locking Rear Diff (3:08 Ratio), LED Conversion for turn signal, Marker, Brake and Reverse Lights, Front grill converted from 3 piece to a single piece GMC OEM Grill. HID Headlights.
Future Upgrades: ZQ8 Wheels, ZQ8 Front and Rear Springs.
Undecided Upgrades: Dual Electric Fan Conversion.

Last edited by mr.vls; 03-14-2019 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Added Info
Old 03-14-2019, 08:00 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Hopefully OP figured out his performance mods during the last six years lol

Old 03-14-2019, 08:12 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I did not look at the date of the original thread. Somebody else commented on this thread before me as it showed up in the New Posts link. I doubt if he even has the car anymore. I tend to hold on to vehicals until the wheels fall off. I like new cars just as much as anyone else but I hate car payments even more. I have the ability to most of the repairs myself. I can pick and choose when I need to take a car to a shop.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:22 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mr.vls
I did not look at the date of the original thread. Somebody else commented on this thread before me as it showed up in the New Posts link. I doubt if he even has the car anymore. I tend to hold on to vehicals until the wheels fall off. I like new cars just as much as anyone else but I hate car payments even more. I have the ability to most of the repairs myself. I can pick and choose when I need to take a car to a shop.
Same here, man! I'll drive em till there's nothing left, then fix it and keep on driving!

Hate car payments also. Financed one car, upside down the whole time, I couldn't stand it. Vowed to never again make payments. Took us a little while to save, but I bought my wife a '14 Malibu LTZ last year, in cash. Felt awesome!

Old 03-15-2019, 10:22 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

He is probably married and a kid or 2 by now lol..... 2013 post

Old 03-17-2019, 10:52 PM
Beginning Member
Blazer11 is on a distinguished road

My catalytic converter went and the exhaust upgrade was a no brainer. magnaflow cat/crossover and dynomax cat back, quite a difference but mine has 373s total was less than 600 bucks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best performance upgrade for a semi low cost?