Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Do throttle body spacers really help?

Old 08-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Karcinagin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do throttle body spacers really help?

Do they ones with the helix on the inside to mix the air the fuel better?
and i might get a k&n cool air intake off my cousins s-10 he is selling (the truck) so would it be worth buying with having the intake? it cant make it worse can it.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Do throttle body spacers really help?

Short answer, no, they really do not help the 4.3L engine.

A throttle body spacer works by increasing the volume of air in the intake plenum which effectively lowers the torque peak RPM, shifting the torque curve lower in the RPM range. This makes the engine feel more powerful off the line. Problem is, by shifting the torque curve lower also has a negative effect on the upper RPM horsepower due to increased friction in the intake path, a result of increased runner length.

On modern fuel injected vehicles, the results are negligible at best. With the 4.3L already having so much torque available off the line as well as running out of breath at the top end, a spacer will only hurt the top end even more.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Beginning Member
dieseladdict90 is an unknown quantity at this point

i added a power-aid tb spacer to my 4.3ho and i feel that acceleration is stronger as well as smoother all the way through the rpm's. i also picked up 2 mpg's to get mine over 20.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:12 PM
davidstl25 is an unknown quantity at this point

i feel a good increase in the low end all the way thru to the red line and i noticed a huge difference in my MPG i think i get anywhere from 22 to 24 mpg on the highway

Old 01-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Beginning Member
DdayK5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a poweraid spacer under my quadrajet on my 350 and I get 13 MPG around town.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Blazercrazy is an unknown quantity at this point

lol Quadrabog. Should just find someone with a bucket to dump gas down there

Old 03-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Starting Member
95LS is an unknown quantity at this point

quardajets can be a great carb IF ( this is a very big if ) they are set up right. id rather have a q-jet then a holley.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:41 PM
RWRIGHT is an unknown quantity at this point

well my frined has the same blazer as me before he bought one he got 21 MPG after the TBS he now gets 26 MPG

Old 03-03-2009, 09:49 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

prove.it

Old 03-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point

I found with my Spacer I really didnt get any gains from it, other than the whistle and even thats isnt as loud as i have heard.... Quick stupid question here, If by some stupid chance I installed the stupid thing upside down would this explain my poor results?

Last edited by OILCOUNTRY; 03-03-2009 at 10:42 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do throttle body spacers really help?