Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

another thought

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:58 PM
stevo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default another thought

my buddy and i was talkin about his mustang he just dropped a 302 in, and hes going to put a turbo on it, but instead of using the exhaust, he was going to do a CAI type thing, with air into the turbo, going to intercooler, then to carb
of course you wouldnt have any boost at low speeds, but hed be better in the quarter mile right?
i was thinking of doing the same to the blazer if i get another
but where would you put one?

Old 10-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What...? Not putting a turbo onto the exhaust??? What is it then? Sure doesn't sound like a turbo... Sounds more like the ram-air myth...

Old 10-20-2009, 09:07 PM

lol, i would call it an intercooled CAI
i really dont see what the turbo does in this
probably be better off with the intake hooked straight to the intercooler

Old 10-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a waste of time. If you have a good CAI, the air will be as close to ambient as you can get it. Unless the intercooler is a water to air type and you are using an ice box to cool the water side, you will likely see no difference at all. Even if you are using a water to air intercooler, the gains would be minimal on a stock or close to stock engine.

When air is compressed either using a turbo or a supercharger, it heats up. The purpose of an intercooler is to cool a compressed air charge back down.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:15 PM

yea i figured that
i thought something sounded funny there
so hed be better off just running a CAI

Old 10-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Provided it is a good design, sealed from engine heat, yes.