Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

info on the 4.3 CPI engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I did... You can rotate the distributor, but not much.

Honestly, your posts are VERY difficult to read through as they jump all over the place.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Beginning Member
holaman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I thought I did... You can rotate the distributor, but not much.

Honestly, your posts are VERY difficult to read through as they jump all over the place.
OK, I've tried to address the "jumping around" issue a bit. Just look for the question marks.

It's a 98% probability that a 96 Bravada had 3.42s or 3.73s right? Also don't all Bravadas of the mid-90s have full time 4 wheel drive? (As opposed to part time 4 wheel drive). The 92 Bravada was also a F/T case, only had 3.42 gears and still ran a 16.7 quarter. That's why I didn't doubt the 200hp rating. 94-95 heads flow 10% better than pre-94 heads and 96 and later heads flow tons better still right? So why are the pre-94s 5 hp stronger than the 94-95? (The info I have shows the power and torque numbers being the same for 94-95.) The 95 Blazer had 3.73s and had a P/T case. The new body was about 100 pounds heavier but with less drag from the P/T case and better gearing, it should have been able to run the same E/T as the 92 Bravada. I'm not just going by power ratings I'm also going by the fact that the 96 was 8/10s slower than the 95 and the 95 was 3/10s slower than the 92. And in other articles the later rigs are slower as well. (Consumer Reports for example) I'm thinking maybe it was because the 96 and later eng. doesn't have an "active" intake manifold? But I can't account for why the 92 is so strong. Tire size in all cases was P235/75-15.

Very disappointed about the rear-end sizes. Does what you say about the lack of 8 1/2 rears also apply to the later rear-ends in this body style that had rear disc brakes? In other words, are most of the disc brake rears also only 7 5/8s?

If I open up the intake a bit (keeping it cold air), replace the muffler with a straight pipe (which I understand won't do much), and put a little more timing in, what kind of Q/M E/T can I expect? A 16.4? And if I also port the stock exhaust manifolds and put a better Y-pipe on, will that knock it down to a 16.2? I could live with a 16.4. I can't live with a 17.0. Thanks again. Regards, Eric

Last edited by holaman; 03-23-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have no clue where you are now... Speculation as to what you would run with no idea as to how strong or weak your truck is...

And I find all of this comparison quite pointless. You have a 95. Unless you are going to dump it for something you deem better, what is the point.

The Bravada could be purchased in either AWD or 2WD. The pre-98 AWD vehicles were a dedicated 30/70 F/R torque split. The 98+ had an active transfer case that could go from 0/100 F/R to 50/50 F/R.

There is a pretty large difference between 3.42 and 3.73 gears. Trust me, I know. I hate 3.42 gears as they make a truck SLOW. So to say that, hypothetically, 98% are 3.42 or 3.73, while it may be true, still does not prove anything at all.

Then you have to take into account where and when vehicles are tested.

The differences I stated in HP are likely due to programming changes in 95.

Whatever your other questions are... Good luck with your hunt for better performance.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:57 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You have no clue where you are now... Speculation as to what you would run with no idea as to how strong or weak your truck is...

And I find all of this comparison quite pointless. You have a 95. Unless you are going to dump it for something you deem better, what is the point.

The Bravada could be purchased in either AWD or 2WD. The pre-98 AWD vehicles were a dedicated 30/70 F/R torque split. The 98+ had an active transfer case that could go from 0/100 F/R to 50/50 F/R.

There is a pretty large difference between 3.42 and 3.73 gears. Trust me, I know. I hate 3.42 gears as they make a truck SLOW. So to say that, hypothetically, 98% are 3.42 or 3.73, while it may be true, still does not prove anything at all.

Then you have to take into account where and when vehicles are tested.

The differences I stated in HP are likely due to programming changes in 95.

Whatever your other questions are... Good luck with your hunt for better performance.
I was just trying to figure out how and why that 92 Bravada was so quick despite having full time AWD and those 3.42s and wondering if I could rub some of that off onto my 95 since it's a CPI too. I got the 95 cuz I like the newer body but every test I could get my hands on shows the CPI to be the stronger set-up (stock CPI vs. stock 96 and later)---it seemed like the best of both worlds. All C & D test results are corrected for altitude and atmospheric conditions so that negates the "when and where" issue for the most part.
So I'll pose the question differently: Since my former New Jersey Blazer with-out California emissions rig is running well enough to pass stringent Calif. emissions, we'll assume it's in a decent state of tune. How much of a gain in horsepower and torque could I expect from the mods I listed in my previous post? Regards, Eric

Almost forgot---I want to do that balance shaft disconnect too but the guy didn't say how he did it. Just that he took off the gear and left the shaft in place so there wouldn't be any oil pressure loss due to open oil feed holes. So is this done through the lifter valley or through the front timing case cover? I wish I could remember what site I saw that on. I didn't mark it cause I thought I would find more detailed info on the mod. Thanks. Regards, Eric

Last edited by rriddle3; 03-24-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:51 AM
Beginning Member

Has anybody done a balance shaft disconnect? Is it done through the lifter valley or through the front timing case cover? Anybody know of any links? Thanks. Regards, Eric

Old 03-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Beginning Member
BlazinBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

free flowing exhaust helps a ton I ran my blazer @ New England Dragway in Epping NH and it ran 15.9 @ 84mph 1995 Chevy Blazer 4.3L CPI these truck are def capable of getting in the sixteens

Old 03-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Beginning Member

Cool. Thanks for the post. You've given me some hope. Is your exhaust after cat only or the whole thing? (headers and aftermarket cat too.) Did you do anything else or just the exhaust? Is yours a 2x4 or 4x4? What gears? 2dr or 4dr? Sorry for all the questions, just wondering how close my combo is to yours. Regards, Eric

Old 04-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Beginning Member
BlazinBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

no problem my truck is a 4x4 with a cai, hi-flow cat, magnaflow muffler 3in inlet to dual 2.25 outlets..have a 3.73 rear..other than my truck is stock...its even a four door lol.. any questions feel free to ask..but 16's is definetly achievable

Old 04-02-2009, 01:24 AM
Beginning Member

Nice to know I won't need to mess with the computer (which apparently isn't an option for a 95 OBD I.5 anyway) or get headers to reach my goal. I hope I can do it without changing out my 3.42 gears. Who did you get the CAI from or did you do a home made set-up? Thanks. Regards, Eric

Old 05-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Beginning Member

Anybody have any experience with the Jet module for the 95 CPI? I talked to Jess at wait4me and he confirmed that he doesn't mess with CPIs anymore. There are at least 2 of us here on this board now that need feedback on the Jet module. Please help. Thank you. Regards, Eric