Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Throttle body cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Beginning Member
Burton3244 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Throttle body cleaning

Hey guys, I just got done with a TB cleaning on my 99 4dr 4x4 and let me tell you it needed it. After 160k miles the underside of the butterfly was coated in 1/16-1/8 inch of carbon n build up. The crap was coming off in chunks lol. I dont really know how so much build up can happen in the intake but im guessing it has to do with the EGR and possibly intake back fires? I looked down into the upper intake manifold and it seemed pretty dirty as well but not enough time today to clean her up. It was nice being outside, i cant remeber the last time its was 60 in mass!

Also I removed the flange on the underside of the butterfly and took out my MAF sensor. I had to pop the screen off infront of it to clean the sensor and broke it in the process is that going to cause any problems?

I havent ran her yet, still waiting for the JBweld to cure where the flange was rivited to the butterfly. Ill keep you posted on how well she runs after all this.

Oh yea I alomost forgot I removed the distributer cap and rotor, scraped the buildup/corrosion off them to help the arc.

here are some pics of the TB after cleaning

Attached Thumbnails Throttle body cleaning-photo_030709_001.jpg   Throttle body cleaning-photo_030709_002.jpg  
Old 03-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully you do not have a high idle. When people remove the deflector from the throttle butterfly, they typically just cut the spherical section off, leaving the flat portion on. IMO, it is a waste. I did this on my old 2000 Bravada and it proved to have no impact on WOT performance. The quicker throttle response actually became annoying with in town driving.

As far as the screen on the MAF, hopefully it is not a problem. I have seen where it has caused issues with erratic MAF readings. Some will say that they have "never had a problem"...

Old 03-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Beginning Member
Burton3244 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Well I started her up late last night and let her warm up. Starts up was quick and the idle was good. I took her around the block after she warmed up and ran great. Deff alot more power after cleaning the TB, MAF, cap and rotor. I deff hope i dont have any problems with the MAF down the road.

swartllk you were right about the WOT, i did notice improved power low to mid range and it deff ran smother but in high rpm i didnt notice much or any power gain at all.

its kindof cool having the crispness on the pedal but it deff could get annoying around town

Old 07-02-2009, 01:05 AM
Starting Member
xCHIPx is on a distinguished road

I think mine needs a good cleaning cuz it has poor excleration. What did you use to clean it with?

And dose takin the screen out of the MAF really mess up stuff? I had a friend tell me take it out and get a K@N filter and I will get more power.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just use an old tooth brush and some sensor safe carbon cleaner.

IMO, you gain nothing by removing the MAF screen and only open yourself up to potential problems.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Starting Member
xCHIPx is on a distinguished road

I cleaned mine about 2 days ago and it ran alot better to me it was smoother while speeding up.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Starting Member
RebelJimmy96 is on a distinguished road

yep 2 inch thick carbon buildup on my 96 runs 10x better

Old 11-19-2011, 12:43 AM
AJM92 is on a distinguished road

can you help me out where is the screen located on the throttle body i cleaned the throttle body but still getting bad mpg i put new spark plugs, fuel filter and put fuel system cleaner in the gas tank