Sights N Sounds Post Pictures, Videos, and Sound clips here. Examples: Member signature threads, photo shoots, videos (that do not fit in other sections), etc.

Lifted 70's fullsize blazer, pics and info on gear swap.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:28 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lifted 70's fullsize blazer, pics and info on gear swap.

Welp, let me start off by saying I had more than I expected to do today. Ran around in circles for about 6 hours but oh well. Let's get this started.

My horrid memory is very dissapointing to me, lol. Can't remember what year my mechanic said this was but thought the off roaders here would enjoy it. Has a 2 inch body lift and about 9 inch of lift. He runs 4.88 gears with the 5.7 V8. And normally has 39.5-15-16 tires, but had to swap tires to trailor it from his cabin to his house. So it only had 235-75-16 tires on it. Kinda funny actually. Also has a full set of sliders that circle the entire vehicle, wheel wells and all. Also full interior rollcage. Custom bumpers and alot of stuff. It's a tore up off road truck. But it is awesome anyway. Here's a few quick shots.

Had to make two runs to Napa and a run to autozone (I don't like that place, lol.) First time at Napa was to get wheel carrier assembly (?) I think. It was something on the drivers side rear that was leaking fluid into the drum. Went ahead and replaced both sides. Secong run to Napa and didn't get there before they closed so went next door to autozone. Was for axle seals and axle bearings. Wasn't thinking about the Jegs kit not coming with them and had to get those. Also as I was leaving he showed me the brake line into the drums and it was horrible looking so probley replacing that also when it breaks when he tries to bleed the brakes. I knew it couldn't be as easy as I was thinking it was gonna be. Also the G80 Eaton unit he was gonna give me wouldn't fit my carrier housing, so I'll have to pick up a locker later. Even with all the extra trouble with the rear brakes and all he only wants $50 extra. So $200 for the install. I'll probley give him $250 since that's still $150 cheaper than the local 4x4's lowest price. Anyways here's some pics.

My mechanic under the blazer. He always wears that hat! This pic doesn't do him justice. I'm 6'1 and 285 pounds and look like a eight year old next to him. He's got about 7 inches of height on me and his forearms are as big as my calves. He's a monster.

Lastly I thank God I decided to regear instead of getting body work and paint done. He showed me the inside of the axle (which he cleaned so good I could've ate off it.) He even remarked on the fact that this truck must have been taken care of cause the carrier and internals were ALMOST perfect. I asked why the almost and he showed me this...

Can't really tell but the lighter looking area is DEEP scratches. He said that some part had been loose and was banging agianst this ring. Said that is it had broke this ring it might have destroyed the ring and pinion, possibly the carrier and the axle shafts.
He said that if I hadn't been up there to change gears this weekend, I would have been up there getting more than just the ring and pinion swapped with the next few monthes!

But yeah mainly just wanted to vent a little bit and wanted you all to have something to look at, ha ha. Also installed a cd player and front door speakers in my buddy's dad's ZR2. Meant to get pics of the install and the blazer itself but ran out of light. I will get pics when he gets the rear 6x9's and I go back up to install them. Taking the dash apart and the door panels wasn't near as bad as I thought it was going to be. I had to drill new holes in the mounting ring in the front doors cause the factory holes were too small a ring to use with the new speakers. He just got a $80 dollar JVC cd player and a set of Big Lots Visonik 6.5's in the doors. But considering he's in his 40's and listens to mainly country and gospel, it actually sounded great. Plus the cd player function hadn't worked since he bought it in 2002 and neither did the rear speakers. The front finally blew and he bought the speakers and got the radio for his birthday. So he was happy no matter how it sounded as long as it worked. But it sounded better than I thought it was going to.

We'll that's all for my rant. Thanks for reading. Hopefully I'll get my blazer back tomarrow and I'll post how the gears work out. I'm so excited! I'll finally feel like I'm driving my ole blazer agian instead of a slow tractor, HA HA. And yeah I know I didn't cover or blur my license plate. Forgot, oh well. Aint the first time and if something was gonna happen it probley would have already.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:06 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

thats usually how it goes. when i welded my spider gears they were chewed up really bad glad i did when i did.

also if i had to guess about the brown fullsize. late 70s maybe a 80. i have to transport my s10 the same way cause i got rails on the trailer. gets really annoying

Old 05-24-2010, 05:29 PM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a 79 scottsdale that looked the same as that one i think 80 they went to square head light. so i say 79. just my guess.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Could be a '79 or an early '80 from what I can tell. 80 was the first year for the square headlight, but I believe it was a mid-year change. Without the original grill, it is difficult to nail it down to a single year!

Old 05-24-2010, 11:32 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Man those tires sure look tiny on that K5