Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

loud banging noise from rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:07 PM
rsz28 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation loud banging noise from rear

Just started hearing a loud banging noise from the rear of the blazer. Sounds and feels like the rear is going to fall out. It's now parked at my work place. Afraid to move it. I test drove it about 50 yards and the noise repeated about every 30 yards. Any Ideas? Differential or maybe the transfer case? I used the 4 wheel drive for about 5 minutes 2 days prior and then disengaged. now problem. drove it about 50 miles after and no problems. I guess I will start with checking the fluid level in the differential and thought about removing the cover and looking at the gears. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moving to Steering, Suspension, & Drivetrain* - The Sights N Sounds section isn't really meant to have technical questions in it which is likely why you haven't received a response on your issue yet.

You are going to have to get under it and start checking things. It doesn't sound like a driveshaft issue given the distance between noises. It is possible that something has gone wrong in the differential. To check that, you will need to pull the diff cover and inspect everything inside. If it is a problem with the ring and/or pinion, it should be fairly apparent.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:42 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i had my front diff snap the retainer bolt for the big pin that goes through the spider gears and started smacking the pinion gear every rotation, but that was a bang every 10 feet or so. sometimes the ebrakes fall apart on these things too. yeah get it up in the air and see if you can recreate it on jackstands