Sights N Sounds Post Pictures, Videos, and Sound clips here. Examples: Member signature threads, photo shoots, videos (that do not fit in other sections), etc.

Towed a car today :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Beginning Member
Camacorn is on a distinguished road
Cool Towed a car today :)

Well, my brother totaled the front clip of his old car ( 2004 Hyundai Tiburon ), so today he found one on Craigslist with a blown motor, for $400.00. I volunteered to tow it for him, because why not? It's a Blazer after all!

She was sagging a bit, but pulled the car just fine to my surprise. I'm an American car guy, can't stand the foreign stuff, I simply did it because I wanted to see what the Blazer was capable of.

Attached Thumbnails Towed a car today :)-ygdsposl.jpg   Towed a car today :)-ggkvvdol.jpg  
Old 10-14-2015, 09:12 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Nice work. I've pulled some pretty heavy loads with my Blazer. As long as you drive smart, and don't go too extreme the S-series is a very capable platform.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:18 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
Nice work. I've pulled some pretty heavy loads with my Blazer. As long as you drive smart, and don't go too extreme the S-series is a very capable platform.
Indeed it is! I didn't even notice the extra weight compared to the trailer being empty to be honest, except when stopping. That trailer doesn't have brakes.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:26 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

dont look like you had any choice with that trailer but you probably could have moved that car back a hair so you werent so tongue heavy. i used to pull my sfa s10 with no trailer brakes for a while. it would stop but any kinda panic stop wasnt going to happen. eventually got trailer brakes before i hit something. but yeah a small car like that i might not even turn on the trailer brakes

Old 10-14-2015, 01:51 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by abig84
dont look like you had any choice with that trailer but you probably could have moved that car back a hair so you werent so tongue heavy. i used to pull my sfa s10 with no trailer brakes for a while. it would stop but any kinda panic stop wasnt going to happen. eventually got trailer brakes before i hit something. but yeah a small car like that i might not even turn on the trailer brakes
It looks like it in the picture, but with the back bumper there was no space to move it any further back. Should have put the motor towards the back, but it got the job done. There is a big winch on the front of the trailer that took up some space that I could have removed. But I really don't see myself using the Blazer to tow things a lot. I've got an '85 C10 with a freshly rebuilt 327 for that

Old 10-18-2015, 06:43 AM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road

She was sagging a bit, but pulled the car just fine to my surprise. I'm an American car guy, can't stand the foreign stuff, I simply did it because I wanted to see what the Blazer was capable of.
HELL YEAH bro! I have a 1993, and one of the main reasons I want to keep it around is 1. I forget just how addicting that 4.3 "3/4 350" is, when it runs and runs right (mine is getting overhauled, most people just junk the truck) and 2. for APPS LIKE THIS!

I can SO see myself getting cheap cars from PA, and fixing them. I would have done so "two years ago" but this Blazer ain't gonna sit forever, as pretty as it looks, if ya know what I mean..

Question: As a fellow proud S-10 owner, willing to forgive all of this truck's quirks, if not problems.. What would you say our "Max tow weight" is? (What do you think the heaviest car we can tow is?) .. I too have the SUV, the Blazer, not the pickup S-10. S-10 Blazer. Tahoe LT trim.

Off the top of my head: I know Jaguars and "most German cars" are pretty damn heavy for their size, I think the mid-size Jaguar XJs weigh right about as much as our SUVs! But.. Yeah, what do you think the heaviest car we can tow is? And what hitch setup are you using? I saw one that "tucks away?" ..

Unrelated, but, it is my understanding that GMCs are "the same," with some strange non-interchanges between the models..

Old 10-18-2015, 03:49 PM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Just put a tow frame onto my 1994 Chev Blazer S10.
Next thing to do is electrical wiring and plug for the trailer.

Rated 6000 lbs.
Got the insert and ball to support 8000 lbs so I should get the full 6000 lbs rating when showing it for inspection.

For the Europeans that makes:

6000 lbs = 2'722 kg (as the weakest part defines my max towing gross weight) and 6000 lbs is also the max guaranteed for the 1994.

Counting a 3 axle trailer being some 2200 lbs (a steel one = heavy trailer) this will put the payload into the 3800 lbs range.
This is my plan: Being able to tow cars up to 1'500 kg = 3500 lbs. My SAAB 9-5 is 3500 lbs. My Blazer is some 3700 lbs.
Should be enough and when getting a lightweight trailer up to 4000 + lbs should be possible.

I do not doubt that a 1994 can pull it. And the next thing to do is rebuild engine and tranny on mine.

Last edited by error_401; 10-18-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:12 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

No problem here.

Attached Thumbnails Towed a car today :)-resizekimg0005.jpg  
Old 10-19-2015, 07:59 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 10-78 edac
No problem here.
Nice. How often did your front wheels touch the ground?

Old 10-19-2015, 08:08 AM
Beginning Member

I don't have a hitch yet, had to use the bumper, no choice.

I realize how unsafe it is to use a bumper ball for towing something like that, but I won't be doing it again without a hitch so eh.

Quick Reply: Towed a car today :)