Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

2000 S-10 Blazer front end clunking!...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Starting Member
hokieyaker is on a distinguished road
Question 2000 S-10 Blazer front end clunking!...

Hey folks... I'm new to the forum and looking forward to meeting some new Blazer fanatics!

I have a 2000 Chevy S-10 Blazer LT 4X4 with 77K miles. I love this old kayak/canoe haulin' beast, but she's having some issues you guys may be able to help me with. While turning at very slow speeds, the front end (right side) makes a loud "clunking" noise and you can actually feel a little bit of a "bucking" sensation (don't know how else to describe it...) in the front end. I know it sounds crazy but I swear the problem is much worse when it's raining. Also, the steering wheel is cocked to the right about 15 degrees and it pulls to the left pretty badly.

My son and I pulled it in the garage recently and crawled underneath to see what we could see. The only obvious problem was some pretty badly worn bushings. Does anyone have any thought or suggestions?

Thanks!

Blake (aka "hokieyaker")

Old 01-18-2011, 09:19 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

By the sound of it and the reputation our front ends have, it really could be a number of things. First thing i would check would be all the ball joints, Pit-man, Idler arm and tie rods. Also make sure the CV boot isn't torn/throwing grease. If the front end is all original im sure it needs at least ball joints. However it is possible that its something simple like a stabilizer link making all the noise. Goodluck.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Beginning Member
swedp is on a distinguished road

i have the similar sound just appeard a few weeks ago.when i drive off after parking it clonks,and it appears it moves the sound from time to time left and right and under the seat.are going to check motormounts,have stressed the balljoints but can´t notice any play there.quite under driving and roadbumps.i recently swapped engine so i´m not sure/ hate doing misstakes he he he

Old 01-23-2011, 12:08 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swedp
i have the similar sound just appeard a few weeks ago.when i drive off after parking it clonks,and it appears it moves the sound from time to time left and right and under the seat.are going to check motormounts,have stressed the balljoints but can´t notice any play there.quite under driving and roadbumps.i recently swapped engine so i´m not sure/ hate doing misstakes he he he
Look into the Hood hinge TSB...

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f178/i...noises-373726/

Otherwise you gotta just get under there with a buddy and check everything out.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:57 AM
LoneWolf04 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swedp
If you're hearing the noise under your seats its possibly the t-bar crossmember links. Our blazers have a floating crossmember that the torsion bars attach to. The links are between the crossmember and frame and when those links wear out and you turn back and forth the crossmember can hit the frame rails and make a clunking noise and you can usaully feel it in your feet.