Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

31" Tire Idea at stock height?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Beginning Member
96chevy4dr is on a distinguished road
Default 31" Tire Idea at stock height?!

Sorry for bringing up another 31" tire thread but I couldn't find anything on this idea. I'm a new driver with no job so I gotta find a cheap/safe way to lift my blazer so I went out and measured my blazers fender space above and around the tire. And from top and sides their would definatly be enough room for 31x10.5 even at full lock and flex but the only problem is the frame behind the tire... I was wondering if u could just add wheel spacers to them 31s and clear? I heard it mentioned but never confirmed. If it would work then what size backspacing??

1996 4.3l 4 door Blazer

Old 02-21-2012, 10:33 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

search some more theres many threads covering this topic

Old 02-21-2012, 11:54 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Simple answer is no.. not unless you have the special suspension package. They might look like they will work but they will rub when your suspension flexes.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Beginning Member
sicks10 is on a distinguished road

When your suspension gets flexed, your tires move in. And even at full compression during a turn, your tires will rub. Whether it be the bolts on the inner panel, or... ANYTHING.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:17 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Just look at it this way. I'm lifted 2 inches and my front tire on both sides rubbed the back of the fender. I also have the z85 suspension package, so supposedly my suspension is heavy duty. But trimming still had to be done to get 'em to fit. Plus, wheel spacers aren't safe imo. Too many horror stories going on. I knew a guy who had a spacer fall off therefore his tire came off going 100 mph. Luckily it was a car so all it did was spin around and around. He got lucky though. He could of been seriously hurt!

Old 03-01-2012, 04:05 PM
duxtoyz is on a distinguished road

i would think doing 100mph would hurt him over a wheel coming off; at say, the speed limit.......? lol. but u will rub no matter how u look at it. if u do nothing but smooth pavement str8 line driving ul be fine, but in the real world ul rub like crazy. cheap lift is a 2" body lift and u can clear 30s.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:43 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by tibby
Luckily it was a car so all it did was spin around and around. He got lucky though. He could of been seriously hurt!
I bet his underwear was seriously stained, I know mine would have been.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:12 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Yeah, it shook him up real good. And I know he was going way over the speed limit, but just wanted to share his story of why he hates them.

And you can clear 31s with just a 2 inch body lift and some fender trimming. By clear, I mean off-road. I'm pretty sure you can clear 30s stock.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Aquarian Devil is on a distinguished road

I have 31's on my 98 4X4. I rub at full lock on the frame and on the sway bar. When entering certain driveways and my wheels are turned at certain angles, I will rub on the inner fender. There is a bolt that mainly does the rubbing.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:22 PM
JRP22 is on a distinguished road

i have 31x10.5 on my stock 15 inch rims on my stock 98 4 door 4x4, they rub when i turn all the way at full lock and they dont rub too much when i flex, not as much as i expected but its not as bad as people say it is. i have no lift and didnt touch my t-bars and i got the tires cheap so thats why i dared to try and fit them on stock.

Quick Reply: 31" Tire Idea at stock height?!