Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

2 problems-- banging noise and no power in 4WD when turning

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Beginning Member
piedmontfbody is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2 problems-- banging noise and no power in 4WD when turning

2000 LS 4 door 4WD 80K.

Problem 1-
There is a banging noise on the left side of the front end when I hita pothole or uneven spots in the road. It doesn't do it when I hit a bump--(when it is in compression), only when the wheel 'falls'. I replaced the the bump stops and shocks already thinking those would help. Is this a tie rod problem or ball joint?

Problem 2-
In 4WD, either Hi or Lo, when I go to make a turn (R or L), the truck feels like it has no power at all and it won't continue moving forward. Itfeels like the engine quits (but it doesn't) or even better description-- the brakes are are on and giving it gas at the same time. It is when I make a sharp turn, like into a parking place or driveway. I hardly ever use the 4WD, but I'dlike to know that it will work when I do actually need it.

Thanks

Steve

Old 03-27-2008, 08:01 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 2 problems-- banging noise and no power in 4WD when turning

1.) Seems almost identical to my issue with ball joints. Seemed like it only happened when the suspension 'fell', not when it was compressed. Got new upper and lower Moog's and I'm all set.

2.) There is a certain amount of 'binding' that is normal in 4WD. Remember, you are attempting to spin all powered wheels at the same time. When you do this on dry pavement or in a tight circle it will make odd noises. Think about it, do your wheels spin at the same rate when you go in a circle? No, the outside tires spin more than the inside. What you're describing sounds normal. Just stick to only using 4WD when you need it, i.e. when you have limited traction such as in mud, snow, or sand. It shouldn't be used on the street (dry pavement) really at all.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:47 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

x2 on the 4wd issue. Although I feel more emphasis should be placed on the importance of not driving in 4wd if the wheels cannot slip. It's not just risking tires, but you can bind up so hard that your transfer case will give...and that's not cheap. Even going in a straight line like on a dry highway, you risk serious binding if in 4wd.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Beginning Member
piedmontfbody is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I'll have to save up for some ball joints and replace those.

Thanks guys. This is the first 4wd I have owned, so it is all new to me. I thought it would be like full time AWD if it was engaged.

Thanks again!

Steve