Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

2000 Blazer LS 4X4 transfer case + 4X4 problem

Old 04-03-2008, 01:28 AM
Beginning Member
razman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2000 Blazer LS 4X4 transfer case + 4X4 problem

1. Today, off road,I shifted into 4-wheel drive high (and later 4-wheel low), As I made the switch, I heard a solenoid actuate, and thought all was well. A bit later, I drove into a steep wash here in Arizona. To my astonishment, I came to an abrupt halt. Here's what happened: The wash was uneven (as they all are), and asmy right front wheel dipped into a low spot, my right rear wheel came off the ground. All came to a stop. The off-ground wheel spun when I gave it throttle. Apparently the rear is not posi-track. The front wheels did nothing. I was obviously NOT in 4-wheel drive.

2. I did some button pushing. 4-wheel high, 2-wheel high, 4-wheel low... and on.... NO 4-wheel drive found. I eventually opened the rear hatch andbalanced my 250 pounds on the left rear of the vehicle. My wife drove us up and out of the wash.

3. Actuating "The Buttons" surecaused the correct noises to wander forth, but NO 4-wheel. Now a flashback---

4. About ayear ago, when I last went off road, I remember driving off after selecting 4-wheel drive. After about 20 feet of driving or so, I remember a clunk, which was actually the vehicle going into 4-wheel. Apparently, something was/is sticking.

5. What does the solenoid actuate?

6. I read about changing the oil in the transfer case. How is that done? Is there a measuing device (meaning a dipstick)?

7. Thanks for reading and answering. Rich

I read about changing the oil in the transfer case. How is that done? Where is it measured. I assume there is no dipstick.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 2000 Blazer LS 4X4 transfer case + 4X4 problem

Sounds like your problem is with the vacuum actuator at the front axle. If it was sticking a year ago, it is probably froze up now. The vacuum actuator is located under the battery. You need to remove the battery and the tray to get to it. You will then have to start the truck (difficult with out the battery in, I know), engage 4wd, and check for vacuum and proper motion of the actuator.

If there is no vacuum to the actuator, then you either have a problem with the vacuum switch in the transfer case, the vacuum source on the engine (does your HVAC system work normally?), or you may have a deeper problem that I can talk to, if necessary, once you have done the initial diagnosis.

If you have vacuum, but the actuator just doesn't move. The next step would be to attach a vacuum gauge/pump to the actuator to see if it will hold a vacuum. If it doesn't, then the actuator is shot. If it does and sufficient vacuum does not cause the cable to be pulled, the cable is froze up. To fix a frozen cable, spray with penetrating oil and try to move it either by hand, or with a pair of pliers.

Run through that and let us know the outcome.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Beginning Member

Kyle, THANKS for your reply. I really appreciate it. Knowledge is power for sure. I could have read the manual andunderstood the process, but finding thethat actuatoris a whole new issue. Under the battery? Last place I would have looked.

Anyway, visit this web address for a pictorial report: http://www.webzar.com/4x4/

If I can ever help you in any way, let me know. So far so good. I'll report again. Thanks. Rich

Old 04-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That picture doesn't look good. Were you able to get everything back together and working properly?

Old 04-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Beginning Member

Kyle, the part is on backorder (small town) until Monday or Tuesday. I don't anticipate any problems. Any thing I should look for after re-assembly? Rich

Old 04-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Just make sure that the cable is working freely. There really isn't much to putting it back together.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Beginning Member

Kyle, the part arrived, and I had time today to take the battery and battery pan back out of the vehicle. Before installing the part, I started the engine and checked for vacuum, which was there and strong. I shut off the engine and then manually worked the cable. The cable moved freely. I installed the part, restarted the engine, and actuated 4-wheel drive. It worked perfectly. I re-assembled all and took a ride. I found some loose dirt and tested 4-wheel and 2-wheel. All seems as it should.

THANKS again for taking the time to educate me. I appreciate your time. Rich

Old 04-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Thank you very much for the follow up! And thanks for letting me know that I am appreciated! LOL

Old 11-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Karljodi is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody have some info on replacing the cable, The outer casing on mine is shopt and I'm hoping this is the problem with my 4wd, (everything works as it should but no drive at the front)

I have a cable arriving tomorrow and I know how to remove from the actuator but not sure how it connects down at the axels? should be able to work it out, but if anyone knows any tricks or things to watch forit would be handy to know before I get into it!

Old 02-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Beginning Member
keithduke65 is an unknown quantity at this point

how do you get at the tri vaccum fitting without taking down the transfer case. mines seems to be loose when iput my hand up there. my 4x4 is slipping and im confident its leaking vaccum down there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Blazer LS 4X4 transfer case + 4X4 problem