Go Back   Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Mechanical & Maintenance > Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Blazer Forum!
Welcome to Blazer Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Blazer Forum today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2010, 10:16 PM

ralphp is on a distinguished road
Default 2002 Blazer Rear Wheel Bearing Removal Help

Hi, I am a new member and pleased to be aboard. We have a 2002 Blazer, 4wd. I need to replace rear wheel bearings. Can someone give me help on how to do it please? I appreciate it very much.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:20 AM
Administrator
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
My Garage

swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to swartlkk Send a message via AIM to swartlkk

The steps in THIS POST are basically the same for you. You have to remove the brake caliper & bracket on each side, then remove the diff cover to pop out the c-clips. The axles can then be pulled and the bearing/seal removed.

Here is another run down:
Quote:
Parts:
- bearings
- seals
- NEW differential cross pin retaining bolt (manual says to replace this every time, but it probably isn't required)
- 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper
- Diff cover gasket (Ultra Black RTV works, but you have to get all of the surfaces clean and free of oil)

Procedure:
1. Remove brakes
2. Remove diff cover
3. Remove cross pin retainer bolt
4. Tap cross pin halfway out, turn diff by hand, then pull it the rest of the way out.
5. Slide axle shafts in, and remove C-clips
6. Slide axle shafts out
7. Using slide hammer with axle bearing attachment (Auto Zone rents this), beat the snot out of bearings, pulling bearings and seals out
8. Using a big socket (or bearing driver), put in new bearings, then seals
9. Clean up the axle shaft (where and around where bearing rides) with oiled sand paper (this is just to keep the rust and such from cutting the new seal when you push the axle in farther than the old seal was riding, to put the C-clip on)
10. Oil up the axle shafts, and put them back in (being careful not to damage bearings or seals)
11. Put C-clips on, and slide axles back out to lock C-clips in
12. Put cross pin in, making sure to line it up with the retainer bolt hole
13. Put in NEW cross pin retainer bolt
14. Clean diff cover and mating surfaces
15. Using new diff cover gasket, put diff cover back on
16. Fill diff
17. Put brakes back on.
18. done.
If you have the G80 rear diff, it could be a bit different. It should still have a cross pin and the c-clips, but it does not have the access that the open diff has. Check out THIS POST for some pictures of the G80 in the larger 8.5" diff.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:24 PM

ralphp is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much! I plan to tackle the job shortly and will definitely refer to your great instructions!
Old 02-24-2010, 08:24 PM

Closed Thread

Tags
1995, 2002, bearing, bearings, blazer, brake, caliper, chevy, end, pop, rear, removal, replace, replacing, wheel