Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

3/4 or 1 ton swap??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Beginning Member
Diverknox is on a distinguished road
Default 3/4 or 1 ton swap??

Hello all,
I currently have a 3/4 ton 10 bolt rear end. I am running on 37" and am really concerned with the axle I have. The other day I was playing in the woods, for the real first time after I got the truck, but when I got into some really soft sand it got kinda hairy. I have wanted to switch out the front and read ends, but not sure what I sould go with here. I do not want to be locked in full time, and don't really want to spend that much money for air lockers. Right now I use the truck for mud and trail rides, but with moving forward, looking to completely redo the suspension for some rock crawling. There are several K5's around here to get for parts, as well as junk yards to pull parts. I just need to know what to look for and how much I should expect to pay for a front and rear end.
Thanks!!!

Old 05-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming that you have a K5 (might want to include your vehicle details ). With 37's, I would be looking for a Dana-60 and a 14BFF. Any Dana-60 from a SRW (single rear wheel) 1-ton chevy truck will bolt under your truck. A 14BFF from under an older 3/4 ton truck will bolt under your truck with minimal effort (brakes & u-joint conversion).

Old 05-24-2011, 06:03 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

agreed. it is possible to wheel with 10 bolts and big tires and make them last if your just farting around in mud and low traction areas, but like you said you kinda get nervous. i remember driving my truck far to offroad parks then have to baby it cause i dont want to break a axle