Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4WD push-button to manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Beginning Member
tululilopo is on a distinguished road
Default 4WD push-button to manual conversion

I've never posted anything on here before, and don't know if I'm the correct category, but I have a question about my 4WD shifter.
I've had problems with my stupid push-button 4WD thing, and became fed up, so I went to a junkyard and pulled the manual shifter out of a 1990 2-door S10 Blazer, I got the shifter, boot, plastic cover thing, foam that went beneath the boot, and a linkage thing, and I need to know if the shifter will bolt up to the transfer case I have, and if I got everything I needed. Also, there is a little electrical thing on there that goes to the 4WD display thing, and that wire is on the shifter, but another wire went in and up behind the dash and I could not trace it. Does anybody know where this wire goes?

Old 06-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Starting Member
jbsnowboarder16 is on a distinguished road

It won't work, you have the NP233 t-case which is electronic and a whole lot of stuff. To get the manual shift setup, you have to convert to the NP231 t-case.

There is actually a forum around here that describes this process.https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...ighlight=np231

Hope this helps

Old 06-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you very much, I'm not sure if I should buy a manual transfer case now or just take the shifter and everything back.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:45 AM
Starting Member

The other post that I posted up above is pretty good and goes step by step basically on what you'd have to do. I'd love to do the setup that that guy did, but don't have the time, tools, or money, but if you the stuff to do it, it would be much better than the electric setup you (and I) have now.

Although, the only problems I've had with my 4WD to date has been vacuum related, whether it was the actuator going bad (this is one of the most common problems with the 4WD system on these things), the switch on the t-case going bad, or one of the vacuum line going to the reservoir located in the fender well rotting off of its nipple connector.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Beginning Member

Well, I'm kind of picky, and wanted everything to look OE, so to take the place of the 4WD switch, I got a rear defogger switch, and to take the place of the original defogger switch, I got a fog light switch. Is there a thing on the fuse box for fog lights or do I have to wire them myself?

Old 06-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Beginning Member

And I forgot to mention, with the switch, I can put the car in neutral, and it will go into 4lo, but it won't shift into 4hi at all. Not in neutral, park, or in any gear, but the 4lo works flawlessly every time. When in neutral, and I push the button to go into 4hi, and I can hear the clicking noise, and the lights flash, but then they just cut back off and it won't engage. In park or any other gear nothing happens when I hit the 4hi button, no noise or anything. Ideas?

Old 06-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Starting Member

I'm not sure about the fog lights, when I installed mine (aftermarkets) I jsut tapped into the fuse box where the the power wire goes into it underneath the cover.

The other 4WD problem is your encoder motor failing more than likely. It can't tell what position the t-case is in, so it just will shift to the extremes i.e: 2hi and 4lo leaving you without 4hi like you said

Old 06-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Beginning Member

Where is the encoder motor? And another thing I'm hearing a lot of people are having problems with is the TCCM. Where is that located? And the vacuum thing is beneath the battery, right?

Old 06-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Starting Member

The TCCM (transfer Case Control Panel) is located behind the passenger side kick panel. Its metal box held in with 2 screws and a wring harness that tells the t-case what to do. You can check the pins for corrosion and stuff. Here's a picture I found of it online for ya:

http://kylestubbins.com/files/images...r_tccm_01b.jpg

The Vacuum Actuator is located under the batter tray. To see if its good u have to pull the battery and tray, re hook the battery and have someone shift the 4WD while u watch to see if the actuator pulls the cable that runs from it to the front axle, if it doesn't the actuator is either bad or you have a vacuum problem.

The encoder motor is mounted on the transfer case and looks like this:

http://static.am-autoparts.com/item/1c8ff4b2a6.jpg

Old 06-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Beginning Member

I think on the older ones the TCCM is somewhere else. I've pulled my kick panel before and there was some kind of black actuator/valve looking thing, almost looks like the cruise control thing under the hood. I've heard it's mounted beside the ECM or mounted to it in the same place or something. But I can check the vacuum actuator right now. I'll go do that.

Quick Reply: 4WD push-button to manual conversion