Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4WD push-button to manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Beginning Member
tululilopo is on a distinguished road

And this is all just for a temporary fix, I'm still going to do the manual swap whenever I can.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Starting Member
jbsnowboarder16 is on a distinguished road

Something tells me that the older ones have the TCCM located underneath the glove box maybe. Some of the older models have the actuator located beside the battery, not underneath it. You will need to be looking out for something that looks like this:

http://edge.shop.com/ccimg.shop.com/...-195855298.jpg

Old 06-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Beginning Member

I went out and looked around, and all my vacuum hoses look good, I didn't actually test the actuator, but I looked at it. At least I know where it is now. And I believe the TCCM is mounted on the ECM. When I put in the manual case, can I tear out everything associated with the pushbutton? i.e. the vacuum actuator, TCCM, the harness that goes to the encoder motor and switches, all the vacuum hoses associated with it, etc.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Starting Member

Umm, I'm not sure about the electronics because something tells me that if the harnesses are not hooked to the case, it may kick the "Service 4WD" light.

As for the Vacuum actuator and stuff that will all have to stay because that is the control for the front axle engagement. There is a system called "Posi-Lock" that you could install to remove the vacuum actuator and such. There is a very good "How-To" on here if you search for it, it will explain everything that you need, and how to do it once you need it.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Beginning Member

Wait, if it's a manual shifter... doesn't the shifter lock the front end? Why do I still need the vacuum thing?

Old 06-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Starting Member

No, the shifter just engages the transfer case, the vacuum actuator is still needed for the front axle, as I said before there is a Posi-Lock set-up that will eliminate it.

I know of people who have done it and love the system and it works well, here is the link:

https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...Ock+Front+Axle

Old 06-23-2010, 11:06 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jbsnowboarder16
Something tells me that the older ones have the TCCM located underneath the glove box maybe. Some of the older models have the actuator located beside the battery, not underneath it......

really, i've never come across any 4x4 that had the actuator anywhere but under the battery.

as for the "service 4WD" light, you forget that the 1st gens didn't have all the BS bells & whistles on them.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

My 84 Jimmy has the actuator beside the battery. But it's a real old one.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Beginning Member

Well, I still want an OE looking application. Is there a way just to mount the posi lock cable to the shifter itself so I can shift it into 4WD in just one step, as if it were stock, just more reliable? And I'm still wondering about that wire that went in behind the dashboard. The donor car had a wire that went from a thing on the shifter to the display thing, and then another from the shifter's display and off somewhere behind the dash. Anybody know where this goes?

Old 06-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Starting Member

I don't know about the wires and stuff, but as for the the OE look, its really all about imagination and whatever you can come up with. Haha, you may be able to come up with something that looks OE.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: 4WD push-button to manual conversion