Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4x4 drive shaft questions

Old 01-25-2012, 10:49 AM
nicholsm is on a distinguished road
Default 4x4 drive shaft questions

So I've now got a new transfer case motor (encoder motor). When it came to taking the old one off there was one bolt that I couldn't remove because of the 4x4 shaft. My niece's hubby came over and instead of letting me learn anything, he merely sent me for tools and otherwise stand there awaiting his next request. Now I'd like to put it all back together and make sure that the new motor fixes the problem of it not going into 4wheel drive but I'd like to do more than fetch tools like some idiot. I'm certain there's a specific thing to do when putting the 4x4 shaft back on. Like that you have to make sure the gears are a certain way or whatever. I'm asking for some help with it. I've never done this and would like to not have to wait for him to come back over and treat me like he does. So please help me. I'm a disabled vet and I'm not ready to become totally dependant on everyone else. So PLEASE someone walk me thru what I need to do. It's a '99 blazer zr2. Thank you

Old 01-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Beginning Member
tommyis3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check this link out:
ZR2 encoder motor instal questions? - S-10 Forum

Had a similar problem with mine, check this thread out as to what fixed my issue:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighti...66/#post489479

Old 01-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Starting Member
Tinted is on a distinguished road

here is all the info you need How To- Replace T-case shift motor - Zr2USA.com

i followed the instructions in that write up to do what you are trying to do.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:27 AM
nicholsm is on a distinguished road

Here's the update. To start, it was a mechanic who said the reason the 4wheel drive didn't work was the encoder motor. When you would press any of the buttons you could hear it wanting to engage, the light of the button you pressed would flash, but then nothing. So I replaced the motor last night and got the drive shaft put back in (thank you to those who helped). Now NONE of the buttons do anything. When you press a button you don't even hear it try to engage. None of the buttons light up. We checked the fuses and they all appear to be fine.
So any suggestions on what in the world it could be. The encoder motor was the most expensive one (the one with 6 prongs) and it's a brand new one so I'm a little baffled on why it isn't working. Please someone give me some suggestions. We are supposed to get a bunch of snow this weekend and it'd be great to be able to get around.