Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

99 blazer 4wd steering shaft with rag joint

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 01:44 PM
livinterror is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 99 blazer 4wd steering shaft with rag joint

Where can I find a steering shaft with the rag joint??? I cant find one anywhere.. Also does anyone have a picture of the steering shaft with the rag joint? Thanks
Tristan

Old 12-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 99 blazer 4wd steering shaft with rag joint

I can not believe it, but I looked through all of my usual parts stores and none of them show the rag joint. Your best bet is probably going to be the dealer. It should not be too expensive.

What makes you think the rag joint is bad?

Old 12-28-2008, 07:49 PM

I have 244k miles on my 99. I am sure I need a new one. I am rebuilding the whole front end this week. It also needs a heater core. factory engine and tranny too! I have a about a quarter turn in the steering wheel...

Old 12-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Mileage really does not matter all that much... These are not high wear items. I have a 1974 K5 Blazer with the factory rag joint and better than 350k miles (previous owner watched it roll over 3 times). I also have a 1970 Chevelle with the factory rag joint (albeit oil soaked and grimy) at over 130k miles. Both of these vehicles have a very similar design to the rag joint in the s-series trucks. So age and mileage really do not have a lot to do with it.

That does not mean that you should not check it out. With the engine off, front wheels on the ground, when someone else turns the steering wheel, how much movement is there in the rag joint?

Old 12-28-2008, 08:50 PM

Well I will tell you why I think I need a new one... I took the drivers wheel off and the wheel well liner was ripped so I stuck my hand in there and tryed to move the steering shaft and rag joint and there is ALOT of movement... Does this sound like a rag joint???

Old 12-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Administrator

If the movement was down at the steering gear box end, then yes, I would agree. I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to save you some time and money.

So, to reiterate, I would say your best bet would be to get it at the dealer.