Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

T bar indexing

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Beginning Member
weazel is on a distinguished road
Default T bar indexing

Hi everyone, I've been fighting a issue with my 97 Jimmy 4wd since I have bought it earlier this summer. The front suspension is soft and dips in the road make it bounce. My buddy has a 96 Blazer and his is so much stiffer than mine.

Anyways, here is everything that I have done.

Replaced all the sway bar bushings (frame and end links), Ball Joints, Shocks, Idler Arm, Rear Shocks and I believe that is it. This leaves me with what I believe to be the Tbar and control arm bushings.

First off the T bar, I dont know the history of this truck prior to me, but as far as I can tell they are original. They dont look bad and I found what the Z height should be and that is with in factory specs. The truck sits level and does not sag on one side or the other. The prior owner was a mechanic so Im not sure if at one point he removed them and didnt get them back in right, but if the T bar is in wrong how do you know? How do you know when they go bad? Also the frame bushings (by the key) do not make a thud when you hit a bump but look cracked and soft.

Second the control arm bushings. They are cracked and smashed/squished, but the tires are not wearing and I dont know if that has anything to do with a soft front end.

Im sorry if this sounds confusing Im just frustrated with trying to get this thing to ride like a truck and not a boat from the 70's