Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Bad Transfer Case Input Seal Fixed! 1995 Jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Beginning Member
Kocapuff is on a distinguished road
Default Bad Transfer Case Input Seal Fixed! 1995 Jimmy

I had a very long post and now lost it all. So this post is the condensed version!

I have 1995 GMC Jimmy with 240,000 miles, it had a terrible transfer case input seal leak, leaking transmission fluid into the transfer case. Leaking about quart of transmission fluid into transfer case every 120 miles.. This happened after the Jimmy sat a year and was not drove. Leak was so bad that transfer case would get over filled and then transmission fluid would leak out the vent that is attached to the transmission fill and dipstick tube..

Well it cost 350$ to get it fixed so I wanted to try transmission fluid sealers.

1.) I first tried Lucas brand Transmission fix/sealer, it did not fix the leak. (it I good stuff though, all of their products)
2.) Then I tried a petroleum based Transmission sealer I bought from Walmart, can't remember brand for about $6. It did not stop the leak.
3.) Then I did a large amount of research online and found a general leak sealer that by it 300 reviews on amazon.com sounded awesome. It was ATP AT-205 Re-Seal Stops Leaks, 8 Ounce Bottle for about $11. It did not stop the leak. (may be good stuff for other applications, but didn't work)

4.) THEN WITH MORE RESEARCH I FOUND: Blue Devil Transmission Sealer for about $12.50, and seen great reviews for it. I put the Blue Devil Transmission Sealer in and drove to work two days in a row at about 230 miles total AND IT SEALED MY VERY BAD LEAKING TRANSFER CASE INPUT SEAL!!! It hasn't leaked since and I have checked it everyday I have drove now for about 2 weeks.

So I thought I would share and maybe save you guys some heartache! It's all true. So if you have a leaking Transmission or Transfer case use Go to Step 4 above! Hope I maybe will save you guys some money for your futures because all of our Jimmys/Blazers are getting old and we don't want to dump a large amount money in them, so find things that work and post it!!

Old 10-18-2013, 10:18 PM
Beginning Member
Alphadog is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info. I have a 95 Blazer also leaking into transfer case {about a quart every 1000 miles}. I bought the seal to replace it myself (11 bucks) but I would like to try a stop leak product before I go through all the trouble to replace the seal. curious.... Did you change fluid after trying each product brfore trying another?

thanks, Alphadog

Old 10-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Beginning Member
Kocapuff is on a distinguished road

No I did not change transmission fluid in between trying different products. I took about 4 quarts of transmission fluid twice out of my transfer case during the tries, so most of it had new transmission fluid in it anyway and I figured if any was left it wouldn't hurt of course and it hasn't.

It's been driving great. Transmission working perfect as always and no more leak.

It was so apparent the difference of the leak stopping when I put the Blue Devi Transmission sealer in it. I drive to work 56 miles each way, so in 2 days the leak was stopped. The key is putting the blue devil in and driving the car a lot for the transmission to get up to hot operating temperatures and getting that sealer to work. Just put it in and drive it everyday.

Post your results! I was so happy I didn't have to put a seal in it. I just got finished put a complete junk yard rear differential in it, so that was enough work. The pinion seal is leaking on the new one I put in so soon Ill be putting a pinion seal in the rear diff.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Beginning Member

I am just wondering if the combination of all 4 compounds didn't stop the leak? I am going to try the Blue devil first and see what happens. I'll post the results

Old 10-19-2013, 11:50 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

*Moved to steering, suspension and drivetrain*

Old 10-19-2013, 11:57 PM
Beginning Member

ok, put in Blue Devil today. I'll see if it works

Old 10-30-2013, 10:34 PM
Beginning Member

Well checked tranny fluid today. so far so good. The Blue Devil might of done the trick, I will know for sure in another week or two. I haven't driven much since I put it in because of another issue I (hopefully) resolved today. Thanks Kocapuff!