Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Ball joints... Moog vs AC Delco?

Old 03-02-2015, 09:25 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Ball joints... Moog vs AC Delco?

Never again will I buy "economy" ball joints... I have found out where my suspension noise is coming from, it's the sorry @$$ ball joints I installed maybe 6 months ago...

2004 Blazer 4x4

So I need to replace them, and all I ever see is Moog Moog Moog, at this point I'm convinced it's a bandwagon thing and everyone gets Moog just because it's what everyone else says that's what they got...But has anyone ever use AC Delco ball joints? I mean, if OE Delco stuff is the best way to go under the hood, what about with suspension too? Price difference is negligible, so that's not really a determining factor. I figure OE Delco stuff has lasted on most trucks for 10 years roughly, will new Delco ball joints last just as long? Is Moog considered an "upgrade" of sorts, or is just just an OE quality aftermarket brand basically?

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 03-02-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Starting Member
jkyle187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default autozone

Me..I went with duralast from autozone only because of the lifetime warranty..yes I'll replace them again but no cost out of pocket..I can now change them in 45 min per side. When I'm too old to do it then I'll just get a wheel chair .

Old 03-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Beginning Member
danthony428 is on a distinguished road

I have used moog suspension parts in the past on other vehicles and they were very very well made. As far as I can tell, the AC Delco ball joints are not greasable, whereas the moog ones are (I could be completely wrong)

Moog makes high quality parts either way man, they are definitely worth it. Just my opinion

Old 03-02-2015, 03:26 PM
BirchyBoy is on a distinguished road

I don't think it's a bandwagon thing. If MOOG sucked, few people would recommend them. I had MOOG installed in my Yukon and will do MOOG on my Blazer whenever they need them.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:20 AM

Yeah the serviceability of the Moog having a grease zerk was a point brought up to me by a buddy at work, and I'd much rather be able to grease them every other oil change than just say "oh they're sealed, they're good".

I just say a bandwagon thing because nowadays people are just too quick to pick what everyone else picks because they want to "fit in" or they're too lazy to do any bit of research themselves lol I just wanted to see if anyone could back up their choice is all, tell me WHY they would choose Moog over Delco.

Thanks for the input guys I think I'm going to just go with Mood. This Friday payday I'll be ordering all 4 from Rock Auto. I checked a local parts store to see what their price was on the Moog and they want damn near double price PER BALL JOINT for Moog brand, so yeah I'll pay shipping and save myself literally $100... I can put it off another week and wait for them to come in, I don't think I'm in danger of loosing a wheel or anything lol although the noise is getting worse and I can tell it's throwing my alignment a little off, got a little tire "whine" from my AT's that's only started recently and the steering is starting to get a little sloppy. Shot some grease in the ones on there now and they quieted up a little for a couple days, but it's only a bandaid lol

Pain in the *** because I was literally there only 6 months ago... at least everything is clean this time around lol

Attached Thumbnails Ball joints... Moog vs AC Delco?-blazen_red_4x4-81911-albums-garage-red-rocket-8089-picture-little-suspension-r-r-30271.jpg  

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 03-04-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:40 AM

Are those stock calipers, just painted?

Old 03-04-2015, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by BirchyBoy
Are those stock calipers, just painted?
Bone stock, just painted. Last time I was in there I just thought I'd brush the surface rust off and spice them up since they're very visible with the 5 spoke Firebird 16" wheels

Attached Thumbnails Ball joints... Moog vs AC Delco?-blazen_red_4x4-81911-albums-garage-red-rocket-8089-picture-30275.jpg  
Old 03-04-2015, 10:45 AM

Thanks. I may paint mine when I'm doing other brake work.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:01 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Very clean, nice

Old 03-04-2015, 11:42 AM

Thanks Yeah I figure it looks nice and it helps prevent more rust from building up. I just used some extra engine enamel that I had laying around from a engine rebuild that I did a few years back. Hit the caliper bracket, control arms, and even some of the frame around the area with flat black as well for the same reason, looks cleaner, and just helps to prevent rust some. It's holding great so far, no fading, no flaking off, not too bad for a 5 minute free job lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ball joints... Moog vs AC Delco?