Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Ball joints and tie rods

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Beginning Member
vatoDETH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Ball joints and tie rods

Sure! Take some pictures or whatever and throw up a guide.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Beginning Member
vatoDETH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Ball joints and tie rods

Hey can you take a look at your stabilizer bar and let know if the ends curl up? I am damn sure that they curl up. I am putting mine back on and I am not 100% sure on the orientation.

Here is my forum post link:

https://blazerforum.com/m_190290/mpa.../tm.htm#190290

Old 12-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default need question answered fast.

I was gonna do step by step video and then edit it and host it on a video site.

Here is another question, was looking at the autozone how to and noticed that it recomended replacing the steering knuckle seal. That is the seal that seals between the back side of the ball joint plateand the axel boot right? One part of that seal on my car was deformed a littl bit and I am wondering if I should replace it?

Old 12-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: need question answered fast.

^ sounds good to me...I'll probably need it soon

Old 12-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Starting Member
Default RE: need question answered fast.

Cool, I'll make a video of the left side then, should be a little more helpful then pictures.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Starting Member
Default Need balljoint question answered fast!!

Ive got the upper ball joint bolted down tight, has to be 70ft lbs if not more but I cant get my torque wrench in on the nut because of the axel bootbut I think Im good. Everything feels tight and I jacked up the control arm to make sure the bolt couldnt go tighter. The cotter pin hole lines up butthere is a little gap where I can see the metal of the ball joint and the boot does notseal agains the arm. What I am wondering is if Im gonna be ok here, did anyone else have the same gap when they did their joints?
heres a link to the picture http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jointeh0.jpg

Old 12-29-2008, 08:39 PM
rsheltro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Need balljoint question answered fast!!

It looks loose. How did you place the boot on there? The boot and plate that it is attached to goes underneath the control arm. If you did it that way, make sure most if not all of the taper of the stud is in the knuckle. If it isn't keep tightening. If it is make sure you have the proper part-double check the part numbers via Autozone or something like that.

My gut reaction is that it isn't tight enough, there should be a little more thread exposed between the end of the stud and the nut. You should be able to see the hole in the stud that the cotter key goes through below thetop of the slots, i.e. the cotter key should go through the slots.

EDIT: I looked more closely at the photos and see the cotter key hole. That looks right. I would lean toward improper parts, providing you installed the boot and plate under the control arm. If these are a cheap joint, go back to the store you bought them from and make sure you have the right part. If so, have them pull out that same joint you installed and then a MOOG for that application. Compare the two and make sure there isn't a difference. I just installed a set of cheap ball joints in the wife's Blazer (cheap only because we're probably upgradingto a Trailblazer shortly and I'm a tightwad). They fit fine but I've had problemsin the pastwith the cheap joints not fitting correctly.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:30 AM
Starting Member
Default RE: Need balljoint question answered fast!!

I think the auto zone upper ball joints were crap but I also think I didn't pull the boot far enough down into the joint. The threads were also longer then the stock ball joint threads too. I returned the auto zone joints and went to oriley and got new ball joints and everything is perfect now. thanks for the input.