Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Blazer goin in the shop for rear pinion seal, cost?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:44 AM
Starting Member
Melrock83 is on a distinguished road
Question Blazer goin in the shop for rear pinion seal, cost?

My rear pinion seal has had a really slow leak for goin on a year now. I check it every few wks, and fill it if needed to ensure it dont get low and damage ne thing...and I proudly do it myself since Im a chick who likes to do the work myself if I can LOL But I have put it off long enuf and am takn it to the shop later today to have the seal replaced. How much should I expect this to cost me? My mechanic is a decent guy, but I am curious about what an average cost is to have a shop do this.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Starting Member

It is a 95 blazer ls 4wd if that matters since Ive noticed the parts/labor for a 4wd seem to run higher than 2wd.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:00 PM
jaybird33081 is on a distinguished road

well my 97 went to the shop today for an esimate. front and back pinion seals are gonna run me $650

Old 04-12-2012, 11:31 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jaybird33081
well my 97 went to the shop today for an esimate. front and back pinion seals are gonna run me $650
dear lord. you must have shelled out for the silver and gold lined pinion seals. i just did one in my garage., on my back using basic tools on a 2002 jeep liberty. its like a $9 part and probably took a hour to do.

but i have never done one on the front axle of a s10. i dont think that the axle itself has to be pulled out. if it doesnt, at a shop with the proper tools youre looking at 1-2 hrs of labor max. i do them all the time.

so for just the rear. looking at the high end of prices. id say maybe 150 at the very most if they wanna hit you for like 2 hrs of labor

Old 04-12-2012, 11:34 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

If he is honest,look for maybe $100 for labor,and around 15.00 for the seal.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:52 PM
jaybird33081 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by abig84
dear lord. you must have shelled out for the silver and gold lined pinion seals. i just did one in my garage., on my back using basic tools on a 2002 jeep liberty. its like a $9 part and probably took a hour to do.

but i have never done one on the front axle of a s10. i dont think that the axle itself has to be pulled out. if it doesnt, at a shop with the proper tools youre looking at 1-2 hrs of labor max. i do them all the time.

so for just the rear. looking at the high end of prices. id say maybe 150 at the very most if they wanna hit you for like 2 hrs of labor
well thats very interesting. I think I better call around to a few diff places. Thanks for the heads up. Man some shops just want to take you to the bank.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:05 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jaybird33081
well thats very interesting. I think I better call around to a few diff places. Thanks for the heads up. Man some shops just want to take you to the bank.
i even asked my boss at work about this and he didnt give me a price but he laughed and said did you tell them to bring it here we can beat that

Old 04-15-2012, 10:49 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

No way is it that $650. I had my rear pinion seal done twice and the first time it wasn't nearly that much. In fact the seal is around $10 and it is about 1.5-2 hours labor. The torque settings must be exact.

BUT WATCH OUT: Mine blew twice because of blocked diff vents. CLEAR YOUR DIFF VENTS BEFORE YOU FINISH THE JOB OR YOU WILL HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Starting Member

I got soooo lucky...Ive had to put quite a bit of $ into my blazer since Oct. (im talkin about $1200-1400 all together) and my mechanic totally cut me a break on this. He had me get my seal (I usually get my own parts unless he can save me $ by getting them himself) and he only charged me $20 TOTAL to change it for me! YES I HUGGED HIM REALLLLLLY TIGHT LOL

Old 04-15-2012, 07:15 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Melrock83
I got soooo lucky...Ive had to put quite a bit of $ into my blazer since Oct. (im talkin about $1200-1400 all together) and my mechanic totally cut me a break on this. He had me get my seal (I usually get my own parts unless he can save me $ by getting them himself) and he only charged me $20 TOTAL to change it for me! YES I HUGGED HIM REALLLLLLY TIGHT LOL

Before or after he did the work! Ha HA

Quick Reply: Blazer goin in the shop for rear pinion seal, cost?