Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Body Mount Bushings shot!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 04:03 PM
bjcarr169 is on a distinguished road
Default Body Mount Bushings shot!

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct area for this problem but seems like the most logical place to post this. I have a 99 Blazer LS 4dr 4WD. I was under it a few days ago doing an oil change and after looking and poking around I noticed that my front body mount bushings are VERY dry rotted and don't look good at all. Not sure what to do.. buy replacement bushing from here https://m.summitracing.com/parts/ens-3-4132g or can I replace them with a 2-3" body lift I'm looking at. Or will I need those new bushings to even be able to do the body lift. Any help or guidance will be great thanks. I can get pics if that would be helpful.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Body lift kits are not new body mounts and will not fix your problem. Look into getting poly body mounts and if you want to do a body lift do that at the same time to save yourself some work but the two must be purchased separately.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:05 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

The original body bushings are replaced when doing a body lift.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:05 PM
Starting Member
awesomeamerican1 is on a distinguished road

A body lift is a nice and easy way to be able to fit 31" tires on your stock blazer with some very minimal fender trimming (even 32's...). Regardless, these blazers are an older vehicle nowadays and most likely any one of them could benefit from new body mount bushings, especially the polyurethane ones that energy suspension sells totally worth it. And if you plan on doing a body lift, just knock it out in one blow. It's something you can do on your own if you have a little know how in your blood or just like playing with a wrench every now n again to save some mula. Just give yourself a weekend, a jack, block of wood, and an impact wrench if possible and you'll be good. Maybe keep a sawzall on the reserve lol rusty bolts can be the devil....

Old 02-19-2017, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by AJBert
The original body bushings are replaced when doing a body lift.
It's been a long time but I'm pretty sure the body lift I installed was only two inch spacers and longer bolts that went between the body and body mount and did not replace the body mount.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:30 PM

Thanks guys. I've been seeing different bushing kits. Some are just the bushing other are coming with washers but none I've seen have all the hardware including the bolts. Any info on that? I've seen that energy suspension sells the bolt kits separate. So I imagine I'd buy the bushing kit and the bolt or hardware kit separate?

Old 02-20-2017, 10:24 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rexmburns
It's been a long time but I'm pretty sure the body lift I installed was only two inch spacers and longer bolts that went between the body and body mount and did not replace the body mount.
Its been a while since I did mine and I thought we pulled the bushings? I'll take a look in the morning and see if I can tell. Pretty sure we have the OP scratching his head.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:55 AM

Well I am following what your saying. I have been searching online for 2 days and have narrowed down what I want to do. Just going to replace the bushings for now and decide on whether to do a body lift or a suspension lift later on down the road. My biggest problem is finding the correct kit to buy. I want to go with energy suspension bushing kit but every site I'm finding it is only coming with the bushings, no washers or sleeves or nuts and bolts. I am definitely not going to reuse the original hardware because they will most likely break or be so far gone to reuse once removed. Problem being I can't find a hardware kit anywhere online, not sure if a universal kit will work?? Also I read on the s-10 forum that the blazer has 2 pairs of 12. 10 for the body and 2 for the radiator mount for each side, any info or guidance on that? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I don't want to dive into a project like this unless I'm fully prepared and have all the parts. This is my daily driver and can't afford to have it sit for days unusable. Thanks guys

Old 02-21-2017, 09:01 PM
BF Veteran

You could just go to your local pic n pull and get just one bushing off a Blazer, Jimmy or Bravada. I think the S-10s and Sonomas use the same bushings, too.