Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

having a proablem need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Beginning Member
RnB1987 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation having a proablem need help

ok heres what happen a few weeks ago on my way to work my truck sounded like it poped out of gear i put it in drive (it was in overdrive) ,and it does nothing .i heard the transmisson spining ,so i pulled over and tryed to put it in to park, but it beagain to make grinding nosie .so i left it in neutral, and shut the truck off. then put it in park ,started truck back up put it in a overdrive still it just spun .i tryed all gears all did same thing .so i thought my transmition took a **** .got it towed home .the next day after i got off of work at 6 am i went home ,and i tryed the truck again to see if it changed,and it did i worked in every gear again .i was told maybe the cluch went bad or the linkage is loose . then i was told it was the linkage .so today when i was diving it back to the house from my bank ,it did it again .so i got it out the road and tryed to put it in gear underneath the truck ,wasent working .it was like it was trying to grab the gear (like it always does when i put it in to a gear but foot is on break so it just nuggesa little) .take foot off break and it just spins .a friend shows up and he trys but still does same thing so we push it into a parken lot .we go back to my house and let it sit and cool down a in the parken lot ,then we go back a cupple hours latter try again does the same thing just spins (thought maybe if it sat like it did the night it messed up the first time that it would work again) ,so my friend says maybe the 4x4 is trying to ingage . but i told my friend that it souldent be because one of my hubs is messed up still from when my slipyoke for the rear broke,and the hubs are free .but just to see what would happen we tryed to put it in 4wl(with out having it locked in ), it grined .so then i put the 4x4 shifter in nutral ,turned truck off put it in park .then started it put the 4x4 in 4wl ,put the truck in revurse it moves ,tryed over drive same thing ,put it back in park took 4wl off and put it in 2w high and try it .it moves in all gears ,drove it home it still works atm but i dont know what the proablem is. is the 4x4 trying to engage ,or is the cluch going bad ,or is it the linkage .i figured maybe on here i can get a more posative answer then from people that come in to my work .i dont know much about drivetrain (still learing a good amout in mecanical stuff motors and the electrical is little more me ,and i know a little on the drivetrain but nothing on the transmisstion or transfercase).
any one got a idea of what it is that causeing it to do what its doing .

thank you for any input

sorry all

Last edited by RnB1987; 08-15-2010 at 01:16 AM. Reason: headake proablem
Old 08-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Beginning Member
Default just incase you need to know

its a 1987 fullsize k5 blazer ,6 inch lift,with 350 motor hooked to a turbo 400 trans,and still 1/2 ton runnin gear .

Old 08-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Good god... Don't take this the wrong way, but that is a MESS to read through with the formatting you have chosen... Just a suggestion. The easier you can make it for others to read, the better the responses will be. That makes my eyes hurt!

*EDIT* - Ok, so I made it through it all and now have a headache.

Sounds like your transfer case is going into neutral for some reason. Next time it happens, pull your transfer case in to 4HI and see what happens.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:06 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

glad you read that one Kyle, my eyes hurt just from reading the first 2 lines!

Old 08-15-2010, 01:17 AM
Beginning Member

hope thats better

Old 08-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Beginning Member
Default just woundering

putting it in to 4hi with out locking hubs in wount mess up my 4wd any more than it is will it because i got replace one of my hubs yet

Old 08-16-2010, 05:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't matter.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Beginning Member

it keeps popping out of 4wheel high