Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Clunk from Rear Diff. (spider gears?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Beginning Member
JetJock79 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Clunk from Rear Diff. (spider gears?)

Hey everyone,

Been getting a clunk everytime I put her in reverse from park.......or from drive to reverse. Been researching a bit and have come up with the most plausible cause would be the spider gears being worn or loose. My question is how easy is it to service this issue. Would I have to pull the entire pumkin out, or can it be done with it in place? Is she ok to drive for little bit until I can get it into the mechanics for service? I have a '95 Blazer with the 4.3L V6 4WD.

Also, I have a "thump thump thump..." everytim I steer to the left right to the stop and give it some gas. Thinking cv joint? Thanks for any input!!

Old 08-08-2011, 11:37 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Ive got the same clunk too. Its lasted 6 months now so far. Whenever it blows im going to swap out a bravada rear end with posi and 3:73 factory.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road

I hear the same clunk, The weird thing is my rear end was just put in. Im wondering while driving do you ever hear a random clanging noise, Im gonna be pulling this rear apart to see what the problem is while im still under warrenty.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:13 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

I do know if im cruising through a parking lot going say 20 mph and i pop the gas pedal real quick i hear a faint clunk in the rear. Can you get some pics of what you find so if its something simple i might replace. I dont do diffs much.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:24 AM
Starting Member

sure will, its been driving me crazy. gonna try and tackle it this weekend

Old 08-17-2011, 02:08 AM
BF Veteran

thanks man. Send me a message when you do.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:13 AM
Starting Member
9Blazer6 is on a distinguished road

could it be your universal joints? Try those before replacing a whole rearend. They're cheap and easy to put on.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Starting Member
Lightbulb

u know i wish it was the universal, after just putting this 3.73 posi in the truck, but no the universal looks damn new. i may change it anyway just to be sure because these working g80 rear aint easy to come by her in pittsburgh, They have crushed so many of these trucks in recent months its sick my buddy has a junyard, there use to be s-series as far as the eye could see now theres maybe 3 or 4

Old 08-17-2011, 06:08 PM
aneill75 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JetJock79
Hey everyone,

Been getting a clunk everytime I put her in reverse from park.......or from drive to reverse. Been researching a bit and have come up with the most plausible cause would be the spider gears being worn or loose. My question is how easy is it to service this issue. Would I have to pull the entire pumkin out, or can it be done with it in place? Is she ok to drive for little bit until I can get it into the mechanics for service? I have a '95 Blazer with the 4.3L V6 4WD.

Also, I have a "thump thump thump..." everytim I steer to the left right to the stop and give it some gas. Thinking cv joint? Thanks for any input!!
I would start with checking the rear u-joints first before diving into the differential. As far as the 'thump thump thump' you're probably correct. CV joints.

A

Old 08-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Beginning Member
JetJock79 is on a distinguished road

I just had both U-joints replaced......could it be something else that could cause that? I was searching on-line and eventhough I didn't see any videos that had the clunk, I'm assuming that's wht the problem is. You know how to spell assume though!

As far as the CV's........which one would it be if only one side thumps when it turns? Only when I turn left to the stop, and give it some gas.....that's when it thumps,....not the other way though! Anyone in the Charlotte, N.C. area?

Quick Reply: Clunk from Rear Diff. (spider gears?)