Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

CV axle problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Beginning Member
shadow03 is on a distinguished road
Default CV axle problems

I have the rough country 2.5 inch lift kit installed and I know it puts more stress on them but I had boots rip within 2 months of installing them which seems absurd... My mech suggested possibly getting longer axles to ease the angle a little since I have the longer upper and lower control arms from the lift kit would the zr2 axles fit seeing as they are 1/4 " longer which would probably ease the angle quite a bit and stop me from tearing the boots and having to replace the axles

Old 08-11-2014, 01:40 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

wont change the angle any. No matter how long they are

Old 08-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by newguy
wont change the angle any. No matter how long they are
Wouldn't it put my wheels further out which would change the angle?

Old 08-11-2014, 07:25 PM
Starting Member
jmparker82 is on a distinguished road

Your CV axles don't determine how far out your tires are. Your upper and lower control arms do that.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:07 AM
BF Veteran

The only way to lower your cv axle angle is to crank down the tbars or lower the transaxle more

Old 08-19-2014, 10:21 AM
1999BlueMobile is on a distinguished road

I have this lift as we'll and am having cv axle issues! Does your axles slip out of the outside bell when turning in 4wd?? I think the longer zr2 axles will solve this but I'm not sure! Are they a direct swap since I'm currently riding at zr2 height??

Old 08-19-2014, 12:02 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Like jmparker and newguy said, the ride height does not determine axle length. You might be sitting at a ZR2 height, but you still have a regular S-series frame under your truck. On a ZR2 the frame is different and the mounts for the upper and lower control arms are about 1.3" wider (farther from the centerline of the vehicle) on each side than the control arm mounts on a regular S-series truck. You can try to cram a ZR2 CV axle in there but the one time I heard about a guy trying to do that he ended up breaking the support arm off his differential when he tightened the CV hub nut because the ZR2 axle is too long to fit in a regular S-series truck.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:38 PM
1999BlueMobile is on a distinguished road

So even sitting higher and with the cvs dropped further with the longer upper control arms, the zr2 axles still wouldn't work? Has anyone ever heard of this happening with a rc 2.5" lift?? It's so frustrating!

Old 08-19-2014, 07:16 PM
BF Veteran

The upper arms a little bit longer but not enough to matter. What rough country did was correct the ball joint angle when you crank the tbars. Zr2 axles wont help

Old 08-20-2014, 08:05 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 1999BlueMobile
I have this lift as we'll and am having cv axle issues! Does your axles slip out of the outside bell when turning in 4wd?? I think the longer zr2 axles will solve this but I'm not sure! Are they a direct swap since I'm currently riding at zr2 height??
I'm not sure actually my axles make a little noise from being at an angle but nothing major and I keep breaking the boot on the passenger side axles seem to be able to take the stress the boot just keeps ripping on me which is a pain in the *** it does seem to rip after using 4x4 though so possibly should have went with the 5" kit -___- keeps everything straight

Quick Reply: CV axle problems