Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

determine shock length

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Starting Member
yarinzim is on a distinguished road
Default determine shock length

Hi,

i had a feeling that the Rancho's that came with the truck are not in the right length.. so i took them off and measured everything because i need new ones and didn't wanted to rely on the current dimensions taken from the rancho's, so.. here are the findings:

front shock static when the truck is on leveled ground - 48.5cm
rear shock static when the truck is on leveled ground - 57.5

now i took them off the truck and measured them on my table:
front collapsed - 38cm and expanded 53cm
rear collapsed - 44.5cm and expanded 66.5cm

now i measured the axles without shocks on, so:

front axle open 55cm (brake line was started to get tens so i can add a couple of cm i guess), closed is 43.
rear axle open - 70cm and closed 52cm

now, as far as my understanding goes i think the Rancho's are too short for the truck. i could use your help guys, to first understand if i'm correct and second to determine the lengths that i need for a new set of shocks.

thanks in advance, yarin

Old 05-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Starting Member

no one knows how to setup shocks?

Old 05-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Starting Member

i could really use some help guys... basically i'm trying to understand what should act first...
should the bump stop be the first to close or the shock, and should the springs can get fully flexed or the shock should "stop" them..
unfortunately i wan unable to touch the bump stop with the leafs because the tires were touching the fender, so i'm a little lost in how to choose the right length.. any help would be much appreciated

Old 05-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Starting Member

can still use some help..

Old 05-17-2012, 11:35 PM
Starting Member

hi, can anyone please help me with this...
people have told my that my lift looks like 4", but according to my understanding, the right shocks for me in this link: Bilstein, Innovation and High Quality Since 1873 are the ones for the 6".
i'm really confused and i'm reluctant to buy the wrong shocks, any help would appreciated.

Yarin.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Starting Member

i'm sorry but know no onw in this forum knows how to set his own shocks. all if you went to a shop and did had it done?

i'm asking again - can any one please help.. i really don't want to buy the wrong set of shocks, especially after i measured things.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You do realize that this place isn't the be-all, end-all of information right? There is TONS of information at your finger tips if you would just figure out how to access it.

Here's a hint:
How to measure for shocks?

Old 05-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Starting Member

I see that disrespecting my intelligance is more important than helping me..
I know how to measure shocks and i know how to measure axle articulation..
im simply asking which factor should stop first when fully collapsed or fully extanded, the shock or the axle

Old 05-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Take it however you want to take it. I have given you an option to look up the information that is meant to be comical, not critical. The information is out there...

The answer to that specific question is that the shock should never be the limit of the suspension travel unless it is specifically designed as such. By definition, a shock absorber is just that, only a shock absorber; not a strut or anything else. It should not be used to limit the extents of droop or compression of the suspension. That's what bump stops (compression) and/or limit straps (extension/droop) are there for.

And just an FYI. I could have answered this a long while ago, but like many people, you can't seem to be bothered to use all of the keys on your keyboard & type in complete sentences, sentence structure, capital letter use, etc. If you can't be bothered, I'm not going to bother. Call me nasty names; what ever you like. It doesn't matter to me. I am very busy with other things and I just don't have the time to screw around with people who put so little effort into things and yet expect so much out of those of us that could actually help. I'm done sugar coating things.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the answer..
Im not sure i understood the incomplete sentences you are refering to, the inital massage of the thread was detailed i believe.. and if it wasn't, i would have been more than happy to provide more info if anyone would have told me
Eventually these threads are helpful for others how search the same info, it's not just an answer for me..
Anyway thanks for the answer!