Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

1997 GMC jimmy Rear End Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:26 PM
l3igl3ang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1997 GMC jimmy Rear End Swap

Hi my 1997 jimmys rear end went out and i need to know what other rear ends could i use. Like blazers or s-10s and dose it matter if its 2wd or 4wd?

Old 01-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 1997 GMC jimmy Rear End Swap

Yes, it does matter if it is a 4wd. The widths are different with the 2wd axle being narrower.

You first need to figure out what axle ratio you have. The RPO code list will have a code which will tell you the axle ratio. Once you know that, you need to find an axle that has the same ratio.

You will be looking for a rear axle from a 95-97 s-series vehicle (and possibly Astro or Safari - maybe further back into the 1st gens, but I am not completely sure). The 98+ trucks have disk brakes and it would work, but you would need to get the parking brake cables and probably the proportioning valve.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:03 PM

I found a 95 blazer 4x4rear end but unasure about the ratio. As far as i know its a stock rear end on my truck. How would i find the RPO code? Im new to this and i just bought the turck about 3 months ago and the rear end went out. We took the plate off and the gears are pretty chewed up so i figerd it be cheaper and easier to buy another rear end.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Been covered quite a few times here. RPO code list is in a label inside your glove box. You are looking for a G code.
GU4 Rear Axle: 3.08 Ratio
GU6 Rear Axle: 3.42 Ratio <Most Common
GT4 Rear Axle: 3.73 Ratio
GT5 Rear Axle: 4.10 Ratio

You need to look at both your truck and the donor.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:20 AM

Hi also is there any vfaqs on good guides on how to do a rear end swap? cause i have never done one before and don't know how hard it is to do?

Old 01-17-2009, 06:06 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Swapping the entire rear out is not a big deal at all. Need jackstands and jacks, a solid afternoon set aside, a friend to help, and basic tools. Remove wheels and calipers/rotors, disconnect the driveshaft, disconnect sway bar, unbolt shackles and shock mounts, disconnect brake lines at the T, slide the housing out the side and/or angle it to remove it from underneath the truck. Basically make sure everything is disconnected, remove, replace with new one, reconnect. You will need to bleed the brakes once finished. It does seem daunting but it is really not that bad. I almost took pics when I did mine but those of you that already know the background will understand that I just wanted to get it done.

Depending on the condition of the rear you put back under it, now is the time to freshen it up with new axle seals, axle bearings, diff fluid and diff cover gasket. If you are REALLY frisky you can replace sway bar bushings while you have it out.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:28 PM

If i got one with disk breaks how hard would it be to hook up the e-break

Old 01-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Should not be too awful difficult. Just make sure you get the parking brake cables with the new rear end. I am not sure if you have to move brackets, but I doubt it.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:21 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

E-brake was not bad, just have to be sure to adjust it when you are done. It does take a little strength and persuasion but it can be done.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:03 PM

Both mine and the doner is a GU6 so they match and its comeing off a 1995 blazer and mines a 97 so everything should be the same even breaks.