Go Back   Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Mechanical & Maintenance > Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Blazer Forum!
Welcome to Blazer Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Blazer Forum today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Beginning Member

blindphaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front Differential Removal

I have a '96 s10 Blazer (4dr 4x4) and I need to replace my front differential as the gears are ground to hell.

I didn't see any tech articles posted about this. Has anyone done this before?

What I am wanting to do is pull out the gears on the differential to stop the grinding.
Apparently the differential is in such bad condition that it keeps slipping into 4x4, says the local dealership. Rear 4x4 actuator was replaced last year, and tried a new front actuator with no luck. I am sort of second guessing the dealership's answer to this issue.

At this point I just want the grinding to stop until I get a new vehicle in a couple months.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Beginning Member

To add to this.

engaging 4x4 solves the issue while its in 4wheel drive. Then I can take it out later on and drive for a while in 2hi.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Administrator
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
My Garage

swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to swartlkk Send a message via AIM to swartlkk

Your front diff is likely fine and it is only the front axle engagement collar that is hanging up. Search for "collar" and you should find some pictures and explanations of what is going on in there.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Beginning Member

It's fully blown now it seems.

4x4 isn't working anymore. Mod can delete this thread as I am not worried about it anymore since it won't be partially engaging anymore. ( getting a new vehicle in 2-3 months )
Old 01-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Starting Member
1993 Chevrolet S-10

rastoma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindphaze View Post
It's fully blown now it seems.

4x4 isn't working anymore. Mod can delete this thread as I am not worried about it anymore since it won't be partially engaging anymore. ( getting a new vehicle in 2-3 months )
where are you located? what are you going to do with your blazer?
Old 01-29-2010, 11:59 AM

Closed Thread

Tags
2000, 4x4, 99, actuator, blazer, chevy, codes, collar, differential, differenttial, engagement, front, removal, replace, s10