Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front passenger side brake squeeling only on turns

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Helter80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front passenger side brake squeeling only on turns

My front passengers side brake squeels only when i take a left curve or left turn. When i press the brake pedal it goes away. It sounds like the wear indicator noise. Its been getting worse. The pads and rotors were only replaced a year ago and i only put about 6,000 miles on it since then. I took the wheel off and the rotor looks fine, and the pads have plenty of meat on them. Practically like when they were new.
Anything else i should be looking for?

Old 09-02-2013, 03:59 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

take a look at the dust shield behind the rotor , it probably is rusted and touching the rotor
The wheel bearing may also be on the way out the door allowing the hub and rotor some sideways movement

Old 09-02-2013, 05:43 PM

Ah ok i will check out the dust shield. About 3 or 4 years ago i replaced the hub on that side, i am pretty sure it had new bearings inside it as well. That would be a shame if it is broken again. Thank you and i will report back with my finding.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Unhappy

alright, i just put a set of brand new pads on both front wheels. the rotors still look good.
i noticed on the back of the old pads, there were impressions from the caliper pistons on the back of them. they were very deep impressions. is this bad?
regardless, the noise is STILL there even with the new pads. i do not understand how the wear indicator squeeling can be there with pads that have a lot of meat on them, AND a set of brand new pads.
i checked movement pulling on the wheel doing the 9 oclock/3 oclock position, there is a bit of movement that way. i also did the 12 oclock/6 oclock position and there is no movement at all.
the dust shields are very rusty, but do not seem to be touching the rotors, i tried my best to bend them away from the rotors. but the squeeling is still there.
can this be a bad caliper? it doesn't feel like it's pulling when driving, or when i press the brake

Old 09-07-2013, 12:16 PM

I just checked the dust shield, it is far away from the rotor, just in case, i bent it back a little more but the problem is still there.
Could it be a warped rotor? Both front wheels have play side to side when i grab them on the 9 to 3 oclock, but when i do the 12 to 6 oclock check, there is no play at all.
from what i've heard, if the wheel bearings are bad the 12 to 6 oclock would have play.
could this be a warped rotor, which is why the brand new pads squeel only when i make a left turn? it did this both with the old AND new pads. its making me nuts

Old 09-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Beginning Member
Vintage is on a distinguished road

I am new to the forum so hello. I have the same problem that you have on my 1995 Blazer 4X4. Mine is a chirp / squeak from the front left wheel. Drives me crazy too. So far the caliper slide bushing was removed and lubed. The noise came back the next day. I took the caliper off the mount and turned the rotor by hand and chirp was still happening. Bending the backing plate away again was a temp fix and the same noise is back. I am thinking the hub may allow too much side to side movement because my noise happens in left turns. Can't work on it now but hope to get back to this. I could not get the rotor off so far to really see the backing plate. There is a lot of rust. Would be interested any solutions you find.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:02 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

it is common for the back of the pads to have marks where they contact the caliper
Premium pads usually have a shim on them , its designed to reduce squealing

I usually apply high temp silicone grease to that surface because it can cause squealing there
Brake Maintenance & Repair : Permatex® Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube
Old school was a product called disc brake quiet (smurf chit)
CRC/Disc brake quiet (05016) | Brake Lube | AutoZone.com_

no matter how new the rotors and pads are there is still a tiny amount of movement than can cause squeaking
Using either of these products can help eliminate the possibilities

google "how to apply disc brake quiet "

Last edited by rexazz2; 09-07-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:05 AM

Well, i tried re-lubing the sliding pins, it did not help. A mechanic down the street from me said the pads are probably moving in the caliper, which I think is strange, and possibly not correct, but he recommended i put some sort of brake glue on the back of the pads where it contacts the caliper pistons. I could not find brake glue at the auto parts store, but i bought some break spray that is supposed to stop squeaking at its supposed to be sprayed to the back of the pads that contact the caliper piston. So i guess i will try that. If that doesn't work, then I think I may just buy a set of new calipers for the front and hopefully that will put an end to this.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:55 AM

I noticed when i spin the wheel, a dragging noise is coming from the CV joint. Could a bad CV joint be my problem?