Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front Wheel Hub socket size help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 06:37 PM
philipbolek is on a distinguished road
Default Front Wheel Hub socket size help needed.

Can anyone verify for me the size socket needed to replace the front hub on my 1998 4x4 Blazer. It is the axle nut and I watched a utube video specifying a 35mm and a link on this forum using a 36mm. I dont have any that size (32mm is the largest I have) so I am just going to purchase the socket and am looking in advance to make sure I buy the right one.
Thanks for any & all help

Old 01-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Beginning Member
c_mcintosh is on a distinguished road

i have had to do this as well. i remember looking in my tool box thinking crap! largest size i have it 32. so i went out and bought the 35 mm socket for the imact gun and it fit nice and snug. good luck

Old 01-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Been over this numerous times as a search ("axle+nut+socket+size") would indicate.

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Search FTW!
axle nut size...

Read down to a video I posted of the acceptable slop. I have had this socket for years and used it on many s-series on up to full-size trucks. Just used it a few weeks ago to replace the hubs on my '04 Tahoe.
The correct size is 36mm. While a 35mm socket may fit in some cases, due to manufacturing tolerances, it may not fit all cases since the proper size is 36mm.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:16 PM

Um, thanks for the response I think. So I'll probably have to end up buying both.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you need to buy both? I'm not sure how much clearer I can say this. THE CORRECT SIZE IS 36mm!!!

There is ABSOLUTELY no chance of rounding off the nut with a 36mm socket. So why bother with a 35mm just because it sometimes fits snug and sometimes doesn't fit at all?

*EDIT* I just remembered that I had an old axle nut in the garage that I damaged by hitting it with a hammer to get the CV shaft free from the hub. Measured 35.36mm with my digital caliper. I'll be back in a few with the Machinery's Handbook tolerances for this size nut/socket, but I can say for sure that if it were a 35mm nut, it would not be over 35mm flat to flat. That is a certainty.

*EDIT 2* - Machinery's Handbook calls out M24x3 thread having a nut flat-to-flat of max 36mm min 35mm per ANSI/ASME B18.2.4.1M-2002.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:21 PM

Thanks, yes, the 36mm is what I am going to buy. Can I remove this nut with a 1/2 drive using a cheater bar/pipe? Will I need to use an impact wrench.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:28 PM
Administrator

You should be able to remove it using a 1/2" breaker bar & pipe, but an air impact will make easier work of it.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:33 PM
war00 is on a distinguished road

Just finished repairing my front end and the socket size is 36mm.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:42 PM

Thanks again to all who responded. I may see if the local auto-parts store rents an electric impact.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Beginning Member
c_mcintosh is on a distinguished road

the 35 did fit but was snug like u said swart. so i guess 36 is the correct size

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Hub socket size help needed.