Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

G80 carrier swap ONLY

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 05:20 PM
Starting Member
DARK1 is on a distinguished road

Eric

How close to a true posi-traction was the G80 as far as clutches etc?

Old 02-19-2017, 07:18 PM
Eric Loiselle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DARK1
Eric

How close to a true posi-traction was the G80 as far as clutches etc?
having a hard time understanding what your asking? From the knowledge ive researched the g80 does infact have clutches but they are very small.

i have also been driving it around and while it hasnt locked on me yet, i pulled a stupid earlier and was trying to get it to lock idk if it did or not but, i was revving it up to 2k at neutral and at green light i put in drive i guess i wasnt throttling enough because the tires did 2 quick chirps instead of a long squeal...

Old 02-19-2017, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Your going to blow your trans apart trying to do neutral drops!! It won't lock until there is a difference in wheel speed of something like 120rpm from one side to the other and doing it on pavement is the perfect way to ruin your truck. If you want to know if it's working find some gravel or dirt or grass but please do yourself the favor of not doing it on pavement anymore.

The G80 is considered a "true" locker and not a limited slip. It is actuated by flyweights and will fully lock both axles together unlike a limited slip that will transfer power back and forth between the wheels.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:48 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by rexmburns
The G80 is considered a "true" locker and not a limited slip. It is actuated by flyweights and will fully lock both axles together unlike a limited slip that will transfer power back and forth between the wheels.
Now I understand why the G80 is not considered a true "posi-traction."
Thank you

Old 02-20-2017, 08:39 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Eric Loiselle
Figured id just make a writeup for the steps i took

1) removed old carrier via the 2 mounting flanges on each side keep track of the side(this is if your c clip axles are already out), and use a ratchet on one of the ring gear bolts and turn but using hard yanking turns(if your sway bar is there it will protect you, if you were me at the junkyard GTFO OF THE WAY lol)

2, take the shims and remember which side they were on we are going to reverse those, if you lost track, eye the thickest shim and that one goes on drivers side.

3.take new carrier and hold races in carrier even they should fit all the way down, position it upwards and you should have a bunch of room, try and grab that drivers side shim and pop it in sloped side towards wheels, now slide the carrier all the way over, you have to work it and you will know when its in place when the drivers side race and shim look good, and you have a nice sized slot in the passenger area. Now you have to try and shove that passenger side in, be patient it will go in about halfway before you should have to start beating it, i would suggest using a small block of wood to beat on top of.

4) now that those look good install the mounting flanges, theres a little tab on the flanges that goes towards the shim to keep it in place, dont get them mixed up, do the passenger one first, then the drivers side, usually you are adjust for whiplash when you do the drivers side, but if you are as lucky as me, snug that girl back in her new housing push axles in connect c clips and give the DRIVERS wheel a nice good turn and you should hear no clunking no grinding, really nothing at all just nice smooth operation of your new g80, if you turn it hard you will hear it lock and then you will see the passenger side wheel opposite from you start to go in the same direction!

So should be easy to track with that.
So you put a 1994 7.5" carrier with ring gear and bearings in a 2001 7.625" housing with the later pinion from a different gearset - and didn't even bother to try to set up the gears............. That is so wrong, even if it is possible!! Are you aware that in 2000 they changed the cut of the factory gears?

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-20-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:39 AM
Eric Loiselle is on a distinguished road

Rex

Yea i was messing with the counterweight pretty cool design, doesnt seem like the counterweights are big enough for rapid engaging disengaging thats why they always go out to abuse, and yes i called myself an idiot after doing that little manuever are you saying that the g80 has no clutches? Im trying to figure out if it needs the slightest amount of LS like the mobil 1 75-90 LS i put it, or if i should just drain it in a couple hundred and switch to royal purple or something bulletproof

les

yea i did alot of research before i bought it, it was a 7.625 it was labeled on the side of the ring gear, also both axles were 7.625 from the little ears on the axle, both axles were 28 spline, and both differential carriers had a 3.42 gear ratio.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:18 AM
Starting Member

Old 02-20-2017, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

No need for limited slip additive with the G80

Old 05-03-2017, 11:26 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I am in the middle of a G80 carrier swap in my 89 S15 Jimmy 2WD. The junkyard charged my $60. But that is just the beginning. The G80 is a Series 3 carrier where as my original carrier with 3:08 gear ratio is a series 2 carrier. The big difference between the carriers is the mounting flange for the ring gear is closer or farther away from the pinion gear. I ended up buying a 3:08 Ring & Pinion (Thick) set made for the series 3 carrier and doing an install from scratch.