Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

front left axel cv boot and shock grease

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Beginning Member
chevy dude is on a distinguished road
Default front left axel cv boot and shock grease

the cv nearest the tire has a grey grease showing.and the bilstein shock is mostly blackened.do i need to change the cv area specifically or do i change the whole axel piece?and is the black grease on the shock mean the shock is leaking?when you change either cv boot on one side of front axel do you change the whole piece or can you work on each side individually?and how much is this job going to cost without me getting estimates but by just explaining to you guys.i figure a shock and axel left side .am i close?thanks guys anything is great.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:21 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

well if the boot is torn then its got to go...but if it slipped off it can be put back on no problem...just need a new clamp. and a grease pack.
there is a how to around here.

if you check dearborn axle on ebay they sell cv axles at a good price.
or maybe get one at a local yard. i am not sure how aftermarket boots hold up...never used one.

to check if the shock is shot unbolt the bottom and see if you can push it up and it stays up then its toast....or you could do a corner check by pushing on bumper on that side and check for bounce ( more than 2 or 3 bounces is bad i think)...sounds like you may have a leaker though.

Last edited by warthogdriver; 03-30-2012 at 10:00 PM.