Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

GM Co.10 Bolt front/rear axles, keep or trash

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 01:28 AM
Beginning Member
thewickedk5 is on a distinguished road
Default GM Co.10 Bolt front/rear axles, keep or trash

i have stock unknown to me gearing, gm co. 10 bolt front and rear axles and im wondering if they are worth building up or if i should just upgrade to Dana's. Driving terrain would be 80/20 street/trail, and lastly what gear ratios would be ideal. I'm looking to upgrade to a 4' suspension lift it and 35's.

thewickedk5

Old 08-07-2010, 07:39 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

35s under a k5 blazer should be alright as long as you're sticking to mud. Also probably at least a 373 gear or its gonn be a dog

Old 08-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are gonna take it easy on them... You will likely want to have 4.10's in it with 35's. My K5 with 33's and 3.73's isn't too bad, but add another 2" to it and I'm sure I wouldn't like it too much.

I'm jumping up to a dana 60 & 14BFF right off the bat though.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Beginning Member

thanks a lot, i was looking for 44 for the fronts and a 12bolt for the rear but i wasn't sure if it would be just as cost effective to rebuild mine. Lastly are there any websites to look up for axles/differentials and would a LSD be better than a locker? My dads a mechanic and thinks that a locker would be overkill and actually be a performance downgrade as compared to a LSD.

Last edited by thewickedk5; 08-07-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is a minimal difference in strength between the 10-bolt and the D44/12 combo. If you were going to go through the trouble of swapping them out, you need to go big.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks, that actually helped a lot for my current goals, I don't have the money to go bigger and build them at the same time nor due i have enough land to play in till I move again so I'll stick to my Corp. 10's for now then swap out for bigger later on down, as for the limited slip diffs over a locker, any suggestions??

Old 08-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Go with the drop in lockers for now. Cheap and easy to install.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Beginning Member

thanks again swartlkk, sry about the pm, i am def going with the lockers tho front and rear and im thinking about buying an axle rebuild kit as well just to avoid any possible failures i can work out now.