Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

HELP! Front Diff leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Beginning Member
FireRed2000 is on a distinguished road
Default HELP! Front Diff leak?

Okay so for the past month or so my front diff has been leaking quite steadily from the drivers side c/v insert and from the axle insert from the transfer case...well i keep putting it off and off and i just really thought i should takle this soon...problem is i dont know the easyest way to takle this let alone how to replace the seals...i figure for the drivers side i need to get the c/v shaft out...but dont know where to go from there...any sugestions? Also with the axle from the transfer case...whats the easyest way to replace that seal? Can this be done in the car or should i remove the whole axle and do it on a bench? If anyone can help me out with sugestion or anything i would be greatly apricitaed! Oh and btw its for a 2000 LS 4dr 4x4 blazer.

Thanks Guys,
Nick Kerns (firered2000)

Old 10-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The output seals (where the CVs connect) can be replaced with the axle in the vehicle. Just remove the CV shafts and pull the seals. Carefully tap the new seal into place and reassemble using a bit of gear lube on the seal and the mating surface on the CV shaft.

The input seal is a bit more difficult, but still can be done with the transfer case in the vehicle. You have to remove the front driveshaft. Then mark the pinion shaft and nut for alignment purposes (a sharp punch does a good job here) and note the number of threads protruding beyond the nut. Then remove the nut and the yoke. From there, its the same as the side seals.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Beginning Member
FireRed2000 is on a distinguished road

Thanks alot man!! that really does help ive already started takeing it apart