Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Help needed for 2003 Chevy Blazer LS 4X4 rear shock mounts/brackets.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:44 AM
Starting Member
Nishijin Man is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Help needed for 2003 Chevy Blazer LS 4X4 rear shock mounts/brackets.

Hello Everyone!

My name is Ricky and I am new to the forum. I am having an issue with my 2003 Chevy Blazer LS 4X4 rear suspension that I hope someone could help me with. I have searched all over the web for any solutions to my problem but I have had no luck so here I am. I really do apologize if I have mistakenly posted my question in the wrong forum and if I have do so, could anyone direct my to the right one so that I can get the advice I need. So with out further adieu, let me begin.

A few weeks ago, the rear driver side shock broke free from the upper mounting section of the bracket(please see attached file for reference). As you look at it, the top section of the bracket is one and the shock has extended out up into the underside. Further inspecting the problem, I noticed that the passenger side bracket will eventually develop the same problem (that too rust rot).

I have tried to find the correct part to make the repair but I have been unable to do so. The aftermarket brackets that I keep finding for the rear shocks do not look like anything that the blazer has. I was wondering if anyone on the forum could answer my following questions:

1. Has anyone ever experienced the same problem that I have and if so, how did you fix it?
2. Did yo fabricate something and if so, what did you use and how did you do it?
3. If you purchased the piece, where to you purchase it from and how much did it cost you?
4. If you did do the repair yourself, where did you go and how much did it cost you?
5. Being that I live in NYC, does anyone know of a specialty repair shop near me that do these types of repairs (either in NYC, upstate NY, CT, NJ or PA)?

The truck is my daily commuter so I really do depend on it a lot and my fiances being what they are, I cannot get into another vehicle. I have some vacation time coming up (4th of July weekend) and I would really like to get this fixed during that time.

Some of my friends have suggested that I junk the truck or just remove the broken shock and ride on the leaf springs but, I really do not want to do either. The roads in NYC are really bad and I believe riding on the leaf springs for too long will cause some additional problems. The truck only has 109,000 miles on it and the motor and tranny are sound so I really do not want to part with it and get into a bank note right now. I am hoping that I can make the repair and get another 5 to 6 years out of the truck. By that time I should have enough saved up to get into better truck but until then, I really need to get this one fixed so any help that any one can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rick

Attached Thumbnails Help needed for 2003 Chevy Blazer LS 4X4 rear shock mounts/brackets.-0996b43f80209721.gif