Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Help!!! Power steering Cooler

Old 06-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Carlson1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help!!! Power steering Cooler

I have a leak in the aluminum piece that bends 90 degrees going through behind the headlight as someone else on this forum had also had.... The only problem is, I can not fing this piece anywhere searching around on the internet! I believe as I have alaso read on here that it is called a Power Steering Cooler and the coil bends around in fornt of the radiator...but I have been searching the internet for a hwile and for osme reason can not find any place that is selling this.. Anyone have any suggestions or know where they sell one? Should I just buy a piece of Rubber Tube and bypass this stupid thing? Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 06-27-2009, 09:54 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

That is the power steering cooler, im not finding the part looking around either,you could probably get one from a junkyard pretty cheap though all it is,is a bent piece of tubing. Im honestly not sure why we need a cooler since most autos dont,but there must be some purpose for it on these.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Don't bother with another one line that. Just get the smallest transmission cooler you can buy and re-run the lines beyond the leak, trashing everything else. I did this on my old Bravada.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:50 PM
tomf216 is on a distinguished road

I have the same issue on a 99 4x4 LT Blazer, right behind the headlight at the 90 deg bend just before the return hose the line is corroded. Steering wheel barely moves. Does that aluminum line just run into then back out of the radiator or into another part inside there?

Are you suggesting just connecting the the 2 hoses ("hot" in line to "cool" return) together down there bypassing the aluminum cooling line design? Because it is all part of the return is pressure not much of an issue?

Thanks for the help, this forum is doing a great service.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is not an aluminum line, but steel and it runs in front of the radiator. You could just bypass the cooler all together or buy a small transmission fluid cooler and put that in place of the steel looped line.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:16 PM

Thanks, I'll come up with something and let you know how it goes.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:06 PM

Used a 11" x 5.5" transmission cooler - stuck the hoses on it and put it up over the steering column, fit right in there even with all that stuff under the hood. No leaks, pump seems to work fine and it is good to go for now, great advice, thanks again.