Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

How much work is it to replace ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:07 AM
2oooBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default How much work is it to replace ball joints?

Hello everyone,
I have a 2000 Blazer 4WD that needs ball joints replaced. I was quoted $900 for both sides upper and lower. Seems expensive to me.
I have done work on cars before like changing hub bearings and brakes. How much work is involved in changing the ball joints? I want to do both sides.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 12-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Run a search. The process has been documented in quite a few posts.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:10 AM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point

There not too bad. You have to pull the axle from the spindle on a 4x4. Make sure you take the axle nut off before you remove the tire and raise the truck. After that, it is pretty easy. Starting at the lower was easier for me. Couple of hours and maybe 10 minutes or swearing should do it.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Starting Member
butters is an unknown quantity at this point

it is no more involved then doing brakes, and wow that shop is a real rip off, usually a decent place will charge about 4 to maybe 5 hundred i have never herd of that much. very simple and easy and they are not expencive to buy to. do them yourself

Old 12-30-2009, 10:51 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...ht=ball+joints

If I had to do it all again I probably would've bitten the bullet and did it myself but at the time $600 for uppers and lowers was reasonable because I didn't have the necessary tools. But then again my Moogs are bolt-in now (instead of the stock riveted) and I can do them myself if they go bad.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Starting Member
jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

It is a lil more involved than brakes but not much harder. If they are original rivets can be a pain but a grinder or a dremel will cut right through them. You do need a BFH, a chisle, and a 36mm socket. A Good little socket set, and a set of combanation wrenches will take care of all the rest. Just give it a try not to hard at all. But you will get very greasy.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Starting Member
speterson1011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default do it

Don't take it somewhere to do it. I've done them myself before, and I agree with everyone on here they are a lot more involved but once your done you will be thanking yourself that you didn't take it somewhere and get ripped off. Just got to advanced auto parts or autozone for the ball joints and rent the ball joint remover tool and you will be fine. I got each ball joint for 30 bucks and took a few hours with the help of a friend.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:41 PM
MissCee72 is on a distinguished road

$900!!!!???? Are you crazy! You can get quality Moog parts for around $30 - $35 a piece, I don't believe Autozone carries Moog.

Find someone to do it for you. Then take it for an alignment.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Starting Member
jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

A ball joint removal tool is not needed for a for wheel drive they are either bolted in of riveted depends on if some one else has been in there.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I think he meant ball joint separator (ex. a pickle fork) to disengage the ball joint taper from the steering knuckle. While it is not absolutely required, it can make the job easier.

Quick Reply: How much work is it to replace ball joints?