Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Steering problems 2003 4WD DRIVE BLAZER

Old 12-13-2010, 11:35 AM
sav24dl is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Steering problems 2003 4WD DRIVE BLAZER

I have a 2003 2-door 4WD blazer that I had the front end completely rebuilt. New ball joints, new tie rod ends, idler arm, pit man arm, all new polygraphite bushings on the front A arms, both sway bars bushings and new heavy duty GAS shocks. it rides rougher but liveable and doesn't sway liked it use too. The problem now is that is the handling is good in a straight line or around a right hand corner but when you go around a left hand corner, it feels weird and makes me slow down. I had it realigned twice at Sears but I am thinking it is more then they can handle. Since I put all new parts on it, the front end was way out of whack, maybe I need to take it to the Chevy dealer to get it align right. Please help.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:57 PM
willyman82 is on a distinguished road

The only time I ever went to the dealer for an alignment was after a major front end overhaul like what you are describing, but that doesnt mean other garages cant handle it. Besides, they should guarantee the work, so bring it back until it is right. Make them give you a read-out from the alignment rack that shows it is good. I suspect a front bearing may be causing this problem though. I cannot think of a way that alignment issues (within the factory range of alignment) could cause a problem like you are describing and still go in a straight line. Also possible is a sticking caliper that pushes harder on the rotor when cornering. It could be a combination of the two or something else entirely. Thats all I can think of.

Good luck.
-William

Old 12-16-2010, 02:41 PM
sav24dl is an unknown quantity at this point

I brought it back once and they redid it and show a read out from the alignment rack.
I also had both front bearing replaced. I could take it there again but I don't think they know what they are doing. Since it was such a major overhaul ,I figured the Chevy dealer would fix it right the first time. it still pulls to the left yet when going straight.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:52 PM
willyman82 is on a distinguished road

Did you take it to a shop to have all this work done? If so Ill bet they didnt lube up the caliper pins when they put it back together. They may have even put one of the bearings in wrong or not all the way. It might be worth taking it to the dealership and having them inspect the work, even if you did it yourself. If the bearing isnt fully seated in the knuckle that is DANGEROUS! If the Sears alignment shop shows you a readout from the alignment rack and it is within specs for your vehicle, that info comes from a database that they cant fudge. I think it would be correct. But if you find the bearing isnt fully seated in the knuckle or something wasnt tightened completely the thing will need to be re-alligned. I would suggest taking it somewhere other than Sears because if they find your problem it will void the alignment warranty and you will have to pay for it again. If the dealership finds and fixes the problem, you can take it back to Sears and tell them to check it again. Then it will need to be re-adjusted