Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

I give up, how do you read 4wd error code?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Banned
GolfClapperX is on a distinguished road
Default I give up, how do you read 4wd error code?

I am well aware of the incredible number of 4wd problems posted here, so I really apologize for adding another one. That's part of the irony with there being so much discussion on a topic, it makes for so much clutter that it's impossible to find the answer you're looking for. I have been reading the hundreds of 4wd problem threads off and on literally for over a year, replacing everything I can hoping it will fix it without me having to post and annoy.

It's a 2000 4 door 4x4 LT, 4-button 4x4 on dash. Replaced front CV axles, front drive shaft (was off balance), U joints on front and rear shaft, all vacuum lines, actuator under battery, and tried swapping out the dash 4-button switch with a used one. The service 4wd light is on and none of the 4 buttons light up. I have tried unhooking the battery and pulling and reinstalling the fuses, and I'm not sure if I have successfully reset the tccm. Is the only fuse I should need to pull #15? The only thing left I haven't replaced would be the switch on the transfer case. Thing is, I cannot find anyone anywhere who can read the tccm code, other than the dealer for like $100. I also glanced over a thread that said a "full range" (or something) code reader would do it, however, can't find anyone but the dealer that claims to be able to read the 4wd code. My questions are basically, how do I read the stupid tccm code, and how do I for sure reset the tccm? Opinions on what on earth could possibly be the problem at this point, would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:23 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

A scan tool can scan your 4x4 codes but not all of them do it has to have the feature to do so

a local shop could pull them they might charge ya

Old 09-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You need a scan tool that has the GM enhanced OBD2 features.

There are a few problems that the TCCM will set a code on startup regardless of whether you have done a battery reset of the TCCM. Getting the codes read is the place to start.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Banned

Ok, so for what everyone wants to charge to plug in their code reader and tell me what it said, I can own my own code reader. I just wanted to try and verify with you guys that this one will work. It says "Reads Power Control Module and Transmission Control Module data".

CAN OBDII Code Reader with Multilingual Menu

Old 09-11-2011, 11:44 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by GolfClapperX
Ok, so for what everyone wants to charge to plug in their code reader and tell me what it said, I can own my own code reader. I just wanted to try and verify with you guys that this one will work. It says "Reads Power Control Module and Transmission Control Module data".

CAN OBDII Code Reader with Multilingual Menu

Okay, fine. But if I were you I'd buy this one

CAN OBD II Code Reader / EOBD Scanner

It STILL may not read the transmission codes, or it may.. Just because it's CAN doesnt mean it CAN.

heh.. i made a funny

I have not yet found a reader that specifies it reads GM specific codes for under $400. And that one was Laptop software with GM bundle.. each about 200.

I got an idea.. buy that Harbor freight one and prove us wrong...PLEASE

Old 09-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Banned

I wasn't trying to convince you that it would work, I was asking if it would, since it's specifications claim it does. I went and bought it and now I'm going to go return it, because it doesn't.

Heh, just occurred to me to *SNIP* and get a couple dollar computer-to-car adaptor on eBay. I'll let you know how hard that fails.

Last edited by TripleBlackBlazer; 01-27-2012 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Discussion of illegal activities is prohibited
Old 09-11-2011, 01:21 PM
BF Veteran

Okay... just dont publish your success on here. Google knows all.
that's why there's PM's

Old 09-11-2011, 01:27 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Hmm i was looking to buy a laptop bundle can you pm me a link ?

I wont be buying one any time soon but its always good to look around i guess

Old 09-11-2011, 01:48 PM
BF Veteran

Dont have to PM if you're gonna buy.. Best overall deal I've found is the Autoenginuity like Kyle uses. When you're reading about what they will do and not do - you pay more attention to what's NOT said v what IS said.
Order Online

Notice that GM owners get bent over as usual. I blame GM, not the scanner peeps.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:55 PM
BF Guru

No i mean pm me with the link imma save it for the future thanks tho

Quick Reply: I give up, how do you read 4wd error code?