Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Left front wheel making metal on metal scrape during right turns

Old 02-27-2012, 10:20 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Left front wheel making metal on metal scrape during right turns

Hey everyone. I sometimes hear a noise that almost sounds like the rotor is touching the backing plate intermittently on the left front wheel but only when I make sharp right turns. I don't think it is a wheel bearing since I just had that one replaced last year and the right one was replaced before Christmas and an alignment was done at that time. I have snow tires, so they make some noise, but otherwise the ride is pretty quiet, so a wheel bearing is not very likely. Could there be something else wrong? Thanks

Old 02-28-2012, 06:32 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

step 1: pull tire, look for metal scrapes

Old 02-28-2012, 08:14 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Yeah...def pull wheel and look for some nice shiny scrapes...ball joints??

Old 02-28-2012, 09:31 AM

I'll check it. But where would I find metal scrapes? On the rotor?

Ball joints are mostly new, especially on that wheel. Plus they checked it when they did the alignment in December and in August for the inspection and there was no play. I grease those ball joints every 2500 miles max when I change the oil.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

If I could be there and hear it, I could probably tell you. I cant and a video does a **** poor job in most cases like this but worth a try.
- if you are gonna do a video, do us a favor and keep all background noise down.

Otherwise do like suggested. pull the wheel support the lower arm so that spindle is at ride height much as possible and turn it to where the scraping noise occurs. Good chance you wont be able to make it happen but you can at least see possibilities if you use imagination.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I just repaired a 2004 Trailblazer for a friend that had this exact same issue. Problem ---> The new, aftermarket bearing that was installed just a few days prior to this new scraping noise was noticed. The bearing felt smooth & tight when turned, but did have a touch of play in the vise using a bar to simulate the force on the bearing when turning; enough for the rotor to hit the shield on tight turns.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Beginning Member
a2dadamm is on a distinguished road

might be the brake dust shield

Old 02-28-2012, 04:23 PM

Thanks for all the tips, but I had it checked professionally today since it was already there on an unexpected problem. I had a flat tire before (rear right tire, cause was the valve stem cap. This particular valve stem has an indicator that says when the pressure was low. I filled the tire and drove it there, but apparently it was very low/flat before I left my apartment, so there was a scuff mark ring on the sidewall and it was driving normally) so I took it to the shop after airing it up. They checked the tire and checked the left front end and found nothing wrong at all. Everything was tight, but I will have them check the wheel bearing again next time I am there. The bearing is almost a year old and the last one only lasted 8 months same brand. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:41 PM
zr2dan is on a distinguished road

maybe try gm parts sometime other brands dont last near as long

Old 02-28-2012, 08:57 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Let's try to maintain a little credibility here.. AC Delco doesnt have 'ownership' of every part they might sell. They ARE an aftermarketer like many others.
For example after reading some reviews here and elsewhere they arent on the top of my list for oil filters.

I dont especially believe they are going to sell superior parts to Moog/National, Timken or SKF.
BTW, CNBD.. if I have a part that only lasts me 8 mos and a year in succession, I'm gonna find a way of letting you guys know the brand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Left front wheel making metal on metal scrape during right turns